News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Anyone going to GTS?

Started by Jake Richmond, January 07, 2006, 06:42:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jake Richmond

Anyone going to the gama Trade Show this March? Bot Travis Brown and I will be there with our new CrossRoads book, and I'm hoping to have copies of Panty Explosion ready as well.

Jake

Ron Edwards

Hiya,

Jake, add a little content to this thread - check out the guideline sticky for this forum to see how.

Best,
Ron

Jake Richmond

Ahh, I see what you mean. Oky, how about this:

In relation to the 3rd guideline (3. You are exhibiting at a convention and would like suggestions for having maximum impact via sales or play. The combined resources and experience of fellow posters can be very helpful to everyone.)

I've never attended GTS before, and know little about the show, although I've read quite a bit. Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations so as to achieve "maximum impact via sales or play"? What kind of information or presentation will the attendees be looking for?Also any first hand information about what the show is like could be very helpful.

We will be sitting up at the Key20 booth, and I think there may still be some space available for anyone who wants to chip in or have their product represented. This may just be limited to Key20 members, I'm not sure. If you think you would be interested you should contact Jason at Key20,com and get the info.

Veritas Games

I may also go if my art license gets signed before the signup deadline.  Anyone got information for first-timers to GTS?  I may be the only guy from our company going, and if so, I am trying to figure out such things as how to visit other booths and man my own if I get space somehow.

Is there any source of information on the net about this.  Heck, even the GTS website doesn't have thorough information on acquiring booths, etc.
Regards,
Lee Valentine
President
Veritas Games

Justin D. Jacobson

As for general info about GTS, I would suggest that this is just reason #1,486 to join the Game Publisher's Association. It's not just for major publishers but also for independents and even retailers and freelancers. The GPA e-mail list is a perfect place to get tons of good info.

I went to GTS last year and had a great time. For small guys like us, the bottom-line value is limited. However, it's a great way to meet _lots_ of industry people and forge some valuable relationships. In turn, these relationships can be a further source of info and advice.

On a practical note, you will meet many retailers. Some of them are very indie-friendly and might be a good avenue for a few sales. However, keep in mind it is not principally a sales convention. If you're interested in dipping your toe into traditional distribution (I wouldn't, but hey that's just me), you can also meet with every distributor and discuss the possibility of carrying your product.

And the best part is at the end of the show when the vendors will give away and swap swag rather than take it home. I just about doubled my RPG library in an hour.

Have a good time, blow some cash, and eat like a hog before the slaughter.
Facing off against Captain Ahab, Dr. Fu Manchu, and Prof. Moriarty? Sure!

Passages - Victorian era, literary-based high adventure!

Jake Richmond

Thanks. Thats all good stuff to know.