News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Presentation - As important as system?

Started by MatrixGamer, January 23, 2006, 02:34:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joshua A.C. Newman

This is very interesting, folks. I've been thinking about this a lot as Under the Bed moves toward its first revision, and how hard it is to recognize the thing as an RPG.
the glyphpress's games are Shock: Social Science Fiction and Under the Bed.

I design books like Dogs in the Vineyard and The Mountain Witch.

MatrixGamer

Joshua

Could you tell us how "Under the Bed" was presented in the first edition? And how you saw it being used in play? This will provide the basis for deciding what next to do. If the format needs incremental change or a revolution.

The really short RPGs that are now popping up are challenging the definition of what an RPG is. I think a lot of people have thought that a RPG had to be some 200 page hardback book - for the last 20 years or so. That was (and largely still is) the format that commercial RPGs use. Like everyone else I wrote lots of brief RPG/combat rules over the years but never did anything with them. As I recall Reagan was president and the booklet format I could afford to print in was no longer selling in stores. I put out games, and sold up to a hundred of each title - but you haven't heard of them. Before the internet the communication channels didn't exist to spread the word.

Preception of games as RPGs is a marketing tool and an important one. Engle Matrix Games have never been easily catagorized (to their detriment). I'd love to hear why you think "Under the Bed" doesn't easily fit the mould.

Chris Engle
Hamster Press = Engle Matrix Games 
Chris Engle
Hamster Press = Engle Matrix Games
http://hamsterpress.net

Joshua A.C. Newman

Quote from: MatrixGamer on January 26, 2006, 02:23:15 PMCould you tell us how "Under the Bed" was presented in the first edition? And how you saw it being used in play? This will provide the basis for deciding what next to do. If the format needs incremental change or a revolution.

Sure.

It's a shrinkwrapped black and white deck of cards measuring. 2.6" x 5.5 (that is, 1/6 of an 8.5x11 page). The instruction booklet is the same size and carries the game's logo on the front. On the back (the last card) it has a short, evocative description, the logo, the glyphpress logo, and my name (I think).

When people play, they're generally missing a rule or two, and the game's so pared down that missing a rule breaks things. So I wish people were thumbing through, but, as there's no index (it's only 32 tiny pages long or so), so folks can't find the answer to their question without killing the ongoing story.

A way to find the rules you need really fast would help a lot, and keep that rulebook handy. Which, frankly, is the most attractive part of the game, and the one that gets the least eye-time.

Josh Roby

Quote from: Joshua A.C. Newman on January 27, 2006, 01:15:07 PMWhen people play, they're generally missing a rule or two, and the game's so pared down that missing a rule breaks things. So I wish people were thumbing through, but, as there's no index (it's only 32 tiny pages long or so), so folks can't find the answer to their question without killing the ongoing story.

Joshua, have you considered putting the important rules on a card or two, so they can sit out on the table where everybody can see them?
On Sale: Full Light, Full Steam and Sons of Liberty | Developing: Agora | My Blog

Joshua A.C. Newman

You know, for reasons that are shrouded in mystery, it's never occurred to me to put the rules on a single card. I was going to put them on the last page of the booklet or some such solution, but... on a card. Duh. Thanks!

mythusmage

All in all I agree with what Ron said. Which basically comes down to, know what you want to do.

What type of game are you publishing?

What is your target audience?

How do you get the customer's attention?

How do you keep the customer's attention?

[tangent]There's a story about the first formal affair the first American ambassador to the Austrian court attended. All the other ambassadors were in their finest uniforms adorned with row upon row of honors, awards, and medals. The American showed up in formal business attire. The next big Austrian diplomatic bash uniforms were notable by their absence.[/tangent]

How well does the system work?

How well do you explain the system?

How good are you at fostering community?

[tangent] There's a chap by the name of Jeff Jarvis. Jeff used to be chief editor for Entertainment Weekly. He now has a blog known as http://www.buzzmachine.com. At Buzzmachine Jeff posts regularly on the value of communication. He will explain to anyone who shows even a smidgen of interest in the subject how it is not ownership that gives something value, but communication. If people aren't talking about what you're doing, you might as well not be doing it.[/tangent]

It comes down to, can you produce something people would be interested in doing? Can you present it in a way that not only gets their attention, but keeps their attention and encourages them to find others to participate in the activity as well? Do you present your new entertainment as something you are convinced others would enjoy? Or do you beg and whine and ask people to ignore the Satanic ritual taking place behind the curtain?

Folks, if you can't convince other people that what you do is actually enjoyable, you need to quit the business.
Alan

Being the protagonist in an RPG does not confer authorial immunity.

Mythusmage