News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Getting a cool real job by making indie games

Started by Montola, December 05, 2005, 04:43:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Montola

After reading the pricing discussions, I was left wondering if some of you guys have gotten a games-related real job (a half-time or full-time job with sensible working hours and reliable salary)? And what kind of jobs?

Because that's one reason to underprice your games. Getting as many copies out as possible increases your rep, and rep brings job opportunities. Whatever from freelancing at WW or designing levels at some computer game company.

Our main reasons for selling Beyond Role and Play at giveaway prices and giving it out in the net was that we wanted to maximize the attention we (including our authors) got. In the academia, making your work easily quotable is of course a very important part of getting cited by others. For me it worked out; how about you others? The thing is that when you look at the highly appreciated computer game developers, surprisingly many have a background as a role-player, but often also as a RPG designer.

(Or, is getting a real job in games industry considered selling your soul around these parts?)

- Markus

Clinton R. Nixon

Quote from: Montola on December 05, 2005, 04:43:34 AM
(Or, is getting a real job in games industry considered selling your soul around these parts?)

One time, I was offered a job in mainstream game writing. (To be honest, I should say I was 75% of the way there. I had a second interview scheduled after the first one went extremely well.) Then I thought about what they really wanted me to do, and yeah, it is selling your soul. I spit on the concept. (This is what we call a my opinion post.)

But, publishing games has helped get me a job in independent publishing, and that's pretty cool. By going to GenCon this year and talking with people working at an indie publishing company, I was able to get an interview and got a job in technology there.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

Jared A. Sorensen

I work as a designer at a computer game company. My RPG cred don't mean shit there (despite the fact that we're making an RPG...hmm). I keep copies of my books (as well as comics and other books I own) in a bookcase behind my desk and occassionally, someone will pop in and say, "Hey, what are these?" and I'll give 'em my spiel. Pun intended. But basically, the only people who care about P&P RPG design are other P&P people (and they think they're better at it than you).
jared a. sorensen / www.memento-mori.com

Josh Roby

I have my current job at a giant machine churning out textbooks by dint of my experience working with a small machine churning out game supplements.  I have no doubts whatsoever that any of the guys who have brought an indie game to publication could handily pick up a job in editing or publishing outside of gaming (as Clinton did).  It's somewhat silly, but having your name on a book spine earns you a big pile of points with lots of people who do job interviews.
On Sale: Full Light, Full Steam and Sons of Liberty | Developing: Agora | My Blog

LloydBrown

Quote from: Jared A. Sorensen on December 05, 2005, 08:31:19 AMBut basically, the only people who care about P&P RPG design are other P&P people (and they think they're better at it than you).

RPG credits do count in the book publishing world, just as much as any other small-press credit would.  That is, according to your sales. 
Lloyd Brown
Freelance writer
www.lloydwrites.com

Jake Richmond

Since CrossRoads of Eternity came out I've gotten a mess of job illustration work, and for the last 5 months Iit's been steady enough to become my only real source of income. It helps that I have a low cost of living. I dont know if that counts as a real job though.

Russell Collins

Oh, it does so.

My wife is in a similar place. After her RPG illustrations got out, she's had to turn away business due to scheduling conflicts.
My homeworld was incinerated by orbital bombardment and all I got was this lousy parasite.

Russell Collins
Composer, sound designer, gamer, dumpling enthusiast.

Larry L.

Quote from: Jared A. Sorensen on December 05, 2005, 08:31:19 AM
someone will pop in and say, "Hey, what are these?" and I'll give 'em my spiel. Pun intended.

Uh....

...the pun is on rollenspiel, right? Otherwise you lost me.

drnuncheon

If memory serves me right, spiel is German for "game" - as in Kriegspiel (wargame)

Doug Woolsey

Quote from: Montola on December 05, 2005, 04:43:34 AM
After reading the pricing discussions, I was left wondering if some of you guys have gotten a games-related real job (a half-time or full-time job with sensible working hours and reliable salary)? And what kind of jobs?

It worked for me. I kept pimping my work until I landed a job working on the Imperator MMO. When that game was put on hold I was offered the opportunity to work as lead quest designer on the Warhammer MMO. I make great money and have one of the greatest jobs in the world. If I hadn't stayed up long nights and worked my ass off getting my game together it would not have happened. So, it's true.  It works -- keep on keeping on.
The drawback, however, is that I am now so busy with Warhammer that I don't have time for my games.
The Battleaxe RPG www.16cbh.net/Battleaxe

joepub

Using my development of Point of Collapse as a primary credential, I got the job of Content Developer for a new MMO being developed.

Not a huge job - only a part time contract - but the point is that my development of an indie RPG landed me this job.

And, coincidentally - Point of Collapse went largely unnoticed to a lot of people here, it seemed. It had no huge swell of discussion around it.