News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[LoRD] using my Mind

Started by Michael, January 27, 2006, 11:17:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StefanDirkLahr

Sorry about pulling you off topic like this, but the idea is that if the game is about / centers on tactical combat it is best if that is made clear up front. "Up front" being the power 19 and the Big Three.

You should be perfectly able to publish the game and expect the players to come up with their own miniatures - after all, this is what (what is left of) the tabletop wargames hobby does. (i'm a card carrying member.)

From your last comment, it sounds as if you are writing this game to provide the crunchy goodness of the tabletop tactical combat experience set within a context that lends coherence and continuity to the action. I love this idea! That bit of context, whether generated via a "story structure" or a "strategy structure" is absolutly essential for me to get into a tactical game (other than as practise/learning curve).

So i take it you have most of the details of your actual tactical engine worked out?

I'll assume that is so, and throw out some questions for you:

1. How (what system) do you plan to generate the situations that will be resolved in the tactical game?
2. Do players only control one character? If so, why not more? Are helper "mooks" a possibility?
3. How do you plan to make the effects of a tactical success or failure carry over between scenarios?

To get back on the thread's topic, i'd like to point out that all the characters abilities - Body, Spirit, &, possibly, Mind - should feed into the tactical combat engine, and that engine should in turn drive the advancement of the game from situation to situation.

I know i'm assuming a lot here, but i fthe Tactical Combat is the core of the game, the thing you want everyone to get into, everything in the rules should pour into it, make it hum.

- SDL (with all the zeal of a newbie convert)
Stefan Dirk Lahr, dreaming the impossible dream