News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Has this happened to you?

Started by phredd, January 19, 2006, 05:02:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phredd

So, I ran a 3.5 hour Capes! demo that was fun for everyone involved at Recess VII over the weekend.  However, unlike the previous times I've demoed it, not everyone really picked up on the complexities of turn order.  I was constantly having to correct players when they tried to take an action when it was time for them to introduce a free conflict and/or claim a side or when it was time to react.  I was surprised by this, because my previous demos didn't have this kind of problem at all.

Vaxalon

It's a complicated turn order compared to other RPG's.  I made a cheat-sheet for the players that I introduced it to.
"In our game the other night, Joshua's character came in as an improvised thing, but he was crap so he only contributed a d4!"
                                     --Vincent Baker

phredd

I had one too, Tony's excellent two page precis of the rules.

Matthew Glover

To help my newbies out, I took three cards and wrote "Scene Starter", "Page Starter", and "Action!" on them.  It really did the trick.

phredd

Quote from: Matthew Glover on January 19, 2006, 07:10:08 PM
To help my newbies out, I took three cards and wrote "Scene Starter", "Page Starter", and "Action!" on them.  It really did the trick.

How did you use these in play?  I'm imagining you sticking them on your forehead at appropriate times, which I like.

Matthew Glover

Quote from: phredd on January 20, 2006, 12:00:00 AM
How did you use these in play?  I'm imagining you sticking them on your forehead at appropriate times, which I like.

Hahaha, man, I wish I'd thought of that at the time.

"I'm starting the first Scene, so I'll put Scene Starter in front of me to remind everybody.  Blah blah blah set the scene.  And I'm starting the first Page as well, so I'll put Page Starter here too.   Blah blah blah.  And I take my action, blah blah slap down Conflict.  Now my turn is over, so I pass the Action! card to my left.  Blah blah next guy's action, everybody gets to react, go around the table clockwise, blah blah, now we're back to the Action! card, which means everybody got to react, so next action and the Action! card moves to the left.  Blah blah turns, end of Page.  Now I pass the Page Starter to my left.  Blah blah end of Scene.  Now I pass the Scene Starter to my left.  Etc."

Bret Gillan

I'm running a Capes game this weekend, and I think I'm going to swipe this idea. Awesome.

Matthew Glover

I expect that this sort of reminder isn't necessary for a lot of groups, but I had five players with one person who'd played exactly once before and three who were newbies, so it was a big help.

Darren Hill

When I run it, I know I'll need this so thanks for the idea.

Andrew Cooper

I bought two different colored Koosh Balls just like Tony used at GenCon.  One is for the Page Starter and one is for whoever's turn it is.  Passing the Koosh works great.  I've never had an issue with remembering the Scene Starter.  I highly reccomend something tangible and that can be physically passed from person to person.  The act of passing the Koosh is a ritual that lets everyone know that one person's turn is over and another's is beginning.  Passing both Kooshes means the Page has turned to a new one.  It's a ritual.  It cements the change.  It's important.

drnuncheon

Quote from: Vaxalon on January 19, 2006, 05:05:08 PM
It's a complicated turn order compared to other RPG's.  I made a cheat-sheet for the players that I introduced it to.

Share?