News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Dramatikos] One game, several media

Started by Green, January 28, 2006, 04:01:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Green

My game, Dramatikos, is entering the playtesting phase of development.  Although I designed it and imagined it as a tabletop game, one of my goals evolved to make it accessible to different roleplaying media: tabletop, chat, play by post, and LARP.  What are some unique aspects of each medium that need to be taken into account in order to make things run as smoothly as possible given the nature of the mechanics and the goals of the game?

Ron Edwards

Hi Green,

You'd be best off suggesting your own answers to these questions, then applying those answers to game design, and then discussing the design here.

As it stands, this post is pretty vague and doesn't lend itself to an actual discussion, at least not by the standards of the site. I can see where it might become very useful though, if you do as I'm suggesting.

Best,
Ron

Andy Kitkowski

Hi Green-

It looks like you had a solid foundation for a tabletop game that combines a high amount of LARP-like personal drama:
http://www.indie-rpgs.com/forum/index.php?topic=18264.0

Along with Ron's suggestions, I'd also like to ask why you were thinking of making it accessible to play-by-post, LARP, etc.  Would it not change the focus of the game, or were you thinking of simply tucking in a few example rules for those formats to bend the game into those mediums?

Thanks-
Andy
The Story Games Community - It's like RPGNet for small press games and new play styles.

Green

Quote from: Andy Kitkowski on January 30, 2006, 11:07:08 PMIt looks like you had a solid foundation for a tabletop game that combines a high amount of LARP-like personal drama:
http://www.indie-rpgs.com/forum/index.php?topic=18264.0

Along with Ron's suggestions, I'd also like to ask why you were thinking of making it accessible to play-by-post, LARP, etc.  Would it not change the focus of the game, or were you thinking of simply tucking in a few example rules for those formats to bend the game into those mediums?

I was definitely thinking of the latter, but as I'm revising the game now, I decided that perhaps it wasn't really necessary.  However, I will certainly mention these media as possibilities, perhaps in a little bubble of text.  What I chose to do is allude to a game of Dramatikos resembling cooperative storytelling and improv theater.  I decided against going deeper than this because it is a bit beyond the scope of the game, at least at the moment.