News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[LoRD] Defining my metaphysical influence

Started by Michael, January 29, 2006, 02:21:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

So, as I mentioned in another thread, the concept behind my d6-d6 mechanic is that the +d6 represents the metaphysical forces that are assist/encourage a character, and the -d6 represents the metaphysical forces that are working against the character. These metaphysical forces are actual in-game entities, in a sense. Anywhos, I'm looking for ideas on what to name them, particularly what I'm going to name the dice. For example, one option would be something like a Yin die and a Yang die. Granted, the concept is not really an accurate representation of Yin and Yang, but you get the idea of the kind of thing I'm going for. Any ideas? Thanks.
"Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities. Truth isn't." -- Mark Twain

dindenver

Hi!
  It seems like the question is a little too open ended. What is the metaplot of your game, what is the names and methods used in the underlying relion of your game world?
Example:
  The metaplot is about struggles of indominable powers. the gods all have greeknames
"+" - Grace
"-" - Contempt

The metaplot is about overcoming your base instincts, the metaphysical elements are all virtues of a higher power:
"+" - Righteousness
"-" - Temptation

These are pretty weak, but gives you an idea that it could be anything. We need to more about the flavor of the game and the flavor of the metaphysics involved.
Dave M
Author of Legends of Lanasia RPG (Still in beta)
My blog
Free Demo

Troy_Costisick

Heya,

QuoteGranted, the concept is not really an accurate representation of Yin and Yang, but you get the idea of the kind of thing I'm going for.

Over the years I've learned a few things about "accuracy."  For you, if your game, unless you are purposely trying to emulate the philosopohy of Yin-Yang, then I wouldn't worry one bit.  It's close enough and people will accept it- just like they accept faries, elves, and vampires.  Dave makes some interesting name suggestions too, but if Yin Yang is what you want, you're fine on using the terms in that way.

Peace,

-Troy

Michael

We need to more about the flavor of the game and the flavor of the metaphysics involved.

Well, first, keep in mind that the players/characters are not going to really know about the existence of these elements to start. Therefore, I have to be a little clever as to not use names that are obviously tied to certain elements. So, for example, if the "evil" forces in the game (that are currently commonly known to the civilized people) are named Bob, and the "good" forces in the game are named "Jim", I obviously am not going to have a Bob dice and a Jim dice.

The "positive energy" (+d6) represents the raw energy of the universe. It's kind of a universal lifeforce with unlimited potential. The "negative energy" (-d6) represents the more limiting aspects of the universe. It's not necessarily a "bad" thing, though. One way to look at it is that it can create a vessel for the positive energy in order to give it form. Whether this vessel is the form of a human, the bubonic plague, or a lightning bolt depends on the creator.

It's really hard to be less abstract than that, as the "forces" are pretty abstract themselves.

but if Yin Yang is what you want

Oh, I definitely don't want Yin Yang, for plenty of reasons. I just threw it out there as an example of the direction I was kind of heading towards. My hope is that other people here know more about duality in other cultural contexts, or have a larger vocabularly than me, and can suggest some other terms that express what I'm going for.

Josh Roby

On Sale: Full Light, Full Steam and Sons of Liberty | Developing: Agora | My Blog

dindenver

Hi!
  OK, I'll try one more time. I am not asking you to divulge the most guarded secret of your meta-plot. But we are talking about, what will be, the most commonly used mechanic in your game. The words you choose will set the flavor/theme of your game. If you could communicate that flavor/theme to us, then we could make more informed suggestions rather than random thoughts...
  A game about fighter jockeys might want to use Lift/Drag, a game about Religious struggle might use Merit/Burden, etc...
Dave M
My blog
Free Demo

Michael

Potential and Entropy, Michael?

Well, Entropy kind of implies a more chaotic meaning. The (-d6) is essentially enforcing form and limitations.

A game about fighter jockeys might want to use Lift/Drag, a game about Religious struggle might use Merit/Burden,

Oh, I see what you mean. I didn't mean to come off as evasive, I guess I just wasn't sure what you were asking. This is where things get complicated. I plan to run this across many eras (from medieval fantasy to far future) with societies and people that evolve over time. Therefore, the PCs are going have a wide range of roles. Even the metaphysical influences are going to evolve and change in their composition.

Right now, I'm designing with the fantasy medieval setting in mind. The PCs are pretty much going to start out as ordinary people in a low-fantasy medieval world. Then the circumstances (adventures) that they are exposed to will set them on the path of becoming heroes.

Does this help?

dindenver

Hi!
  OK, the game is about evolution, why not Evolution/De-evolution or Change/Stasis?
Dave M
My blog
Free Demo

Michael

Yeah, the change/stasis thing is definitely the right direction. If I can come across some "nifty" names for that, I would be all set.