News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Have theme, but no ideas.

Started by Levi Kornelsen, February 01, 2006, 02:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Levi Kornelsen

One of my players has, as a character theme, the idea of inherited sin. 

Also, his momma was a whore.  3d4.

Next game is day-after-tomorrow.

I want to put together a town that nails that theme, and I'm drawing a blank.  Any thoughts?

Judd

How's about a town with an orphan house filled with kids whose parents were killed by Dogs.  The orphanage was built on Watchdog's orders a decade or so ago.

The conflict revovles around the town-folk really despising these kids, saying that they are bad seeds and naturally, some of the kids are living down to the town-folks' expectations.

The kids would have this awesome love/hate relationship with the Dogs.  Some would want to be Dogs, others would want to kill Dogs and others would just run and hide as if the Dogs were the bogey-men.

Brand_Robins

Here's the trick Levi, you don't have to nail his theme. He does. You just have to give him a chance to do so.

So, with that in mind, look at making a town where the sin or pride or injustice has to do with a whore, her children, her clients, and the disruption it causes in town. Or, to be less obvious, go with a "sins of the fathers" thing where the pride comes from someone judging another member of their branch because the second member's father/mother was a known sinner. "No, you can't marry my daughter because you dad cheated on his tithing 20 years ago...."

Start with some sin that is passed between generations. For spice toss in some sex. Build a town as normal. Let loose the player in the town and push, push, push that sin.

Wait for explosion.
- Brand Robins

Vaxalon

Pride: Brother John thinks he's the moral compass for his entire community.

Injustice: Brother John, who's the town's blacksmith, refuses to work on Brother James's horse, because Brother James's father killed Brother John's father.
"In our game the other night, Joshua's character came in as an improvised thing, but he was crap so he only contributed a d4!"
                                     --Vincent Baker

Levi Kornelsen

Thanks, guys; I think I'll start at the level Fred gave, and later come back with a town with something like hat Judd suggested.

Or maybe the other way around.  But the wheels started turning, finally.