News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Help for a novice in a game idea

Started by Lxstanto, February 01, 2006, 09:18:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arpie

I think it's kind of unfair they made you tell them your real name when you're just fishing for ideas (your name is a precious resource.) So I'm going to suggest, as an alternative to the positive side, that you hunt down some parody LARP stuff. It might give you an idea or two you wouldn't otherwise have suspected.

Stephan O'Sullivan, he guy who did FUDGE, put out a game which uses a stopwatch and index cards. You just have your friend hit the watch at a random interval and try to guess how long it took. If you guess within the right interval, your character succeeded or your version of the story holds sway or whatever. It's good for crowds.

If they're watchful of gaming materials in these post-school-shooting years, you could check out some great material on rebellion, like The Great Escape or The Wild One or any US-made film set inside Russia during the 60s thru the 80s. If you can fgure out a way to play "German Splotlight" in broad daylight with a host of school monitors watching, you've got a great game going.

(In German Spotlight, which is basically a tag game played at night, several people run around trying not to get caught in the beam of one guy's flashlight. When a new person gets tagged "it," the flashlight changes hands and both the new guy turns off the flashlight while yelling "German Spotlight" and counting to, say, 100. During that time, everyone else who was hidden must make a dash for a new hiding place, including the guy who just handed over the flashlight. Make sure you play it someplace where there's lots of chances to trip over something in the dark and die! I'm just kidding. It's a great game, and very inspiring, I hope, but be careful. Taking the same idea, you could try imagining that you're trying to organize a resistance in front of prison guards/totalitarian soldiers or anything else your school authorities remind you of!)

As a youngster amidst internet predators, I hope you gave out a fake name (I know I did.)
Oh, and, you didn't hear this from me, but, *ahem* Buttery Wholesomeness.