News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

(REQUEST) egyptian magic

Started by signoftheserpent, February 06, 2006, 10:09:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

signoftheserpent

Apologies if this is the wrong place, but I am looking for websites with detailed nformationon egyptian magic and mysticism. Thanks.

Eero Tuovinen

Well, this isn't a magic website, right? So yeah, it's probably the wrong place. But you knew it, because you've been here a while.

UNLESS you're going about a rpg design, with intent to publish as indie, and that has something to do with Egyptian magic. In that case this is the right place, but we need more information on your game to help you appropriately. A longer post, in other words, with some context. Unless you give more data I can't even say for sure you want historical Egyptian material rather than something fitting to one or another pseudo-historical genre. The "Egyptian magic" of 19th century mystics is a whole another deal than what history tells us of Egyptian magic of 4000 BC., which is again different from the Hollywood treatment.

That said, I suggest this link. It seems to include a number of further links on the topic you mentioned. Especially the Sacred Texts archive is usually useful for this kind of thing, I've found.
Blogging at Game Design is about Structure.
Publishing Zombie Cinema and Solar System at Arkenstone Publishing.

signoftheserpent

Quote from: Eero Tuovinen on February 06, 2006, 11:17:37 AM
Well, this isn't a magic website, right? So yeah, it's probably the wrong place. But you knew it, because you've been here a while.

UNLESS you're going about a rpg design, with intent to publish as indie, and that has something to do with Egyptian magic. In that case this is the right place, but we need more information on your game to help you appropriately. A longer post, in other words, with some context. Unless you give more data I can't even say for sure you want historical Egyptian material rather than something fitting to one or another pseudo-historical genre. The "Egyptian magic" of 19th century mystics is a whole another deal than what history tells us of Egyptian magic of 4000 BC., which is again different from the Hollywood treatment.

That said, I suggest this link. It seems to include a number of further links on the topic you mentioned. Especially the Sacred Texts archive is usually useful for this kind of thing, I've found.

I really don't see the problem with using the forum to ask for research links for the purpose of designing a game.

Eero Tuovinen

There is no problem. You just didn't tell that you're designing a game yet. What kind of game are you thinking of? And what kind of information are you looking for? Esoterics (occult hobbyists with fanciful theories) or science (historical accounts based on archeology and Greek authors, mostly) or gamer materials (D&D and WW remixes of the former with original material thrown in)? These are all very different from each other. By magic you could mean fantasy ideas about soul manipulation (both esoteric sources and gamers seem to like the idea of Egyptian magicians splitting souls and stuff), religious practices (there was an Egyptian cult that believed that the sun would not rise unless they performed their rituals correctly every night, which I always found fascinating) or almost anything else.

There's simply not enough here to go by. For general knowledge you could check out this link, which includes rather wide-range backgrounds on the subject, especially if you do follow-ups on any interesting topics.
Blogging at Game Design is about Structure.
Publishing Zombie Cinema and Solar System at Arkenstone Publishing.

Seth M. Drebitko

http://www.sacred-texts.com/egy/ema/index.htm
http://nefertiti.iwebland.com/religion/magic.htm
http://www.touregypt.net/egyptmagic1.htm

These should be a good starting point for research on magic, but can't help much more than this until I know more.
Regards, Seth
MicroLite20 at www.KoboldEnterprise.com
The adventure's just begun!