News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Online rpgs and pesky monkeys at Cybercon

Started by Joe J Prince, February 06, 2006, 01:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe J Prince

Well the Cybercon IV online rpg convention took place last weekend.

It was an interesting experience for me, since I've not dabbled in online rpg tools before.
I played a game of Savage Worlds using the Screen Monkey software and it was good fun.
Unfortunately, there seemed quite a few glitches with the browser so we didn't end up getting a lot done. In fact despite the scenario title "Against the orcs!" we only met two orcs, who I easily chopped up using my majestic 'desert bladesong' style.

There was also a technical problem with the game I was set to run - possibly due to port-forwarding??
And sadly it didn't go ahead, but on the plus side I've now got an introductory scenario for Call to Adventure plotted out.

However, it was a good experience overall and I think these online rpg tools have a lot of potential - especially combined with skype or msn messenger as a back-up. I had a quick go on openrpg as well as screen monkey

Hopefully I'll get a few practice games done sometime.
I was wondering if anyone has any actual play knowledge regarding online rpg toolsets or suggestions for which indie games they might do well.

Cheers
Joe

Joe Zeutenhorst

Quick note: Yumichat 1.0 does cards as well as dice, so you can do Dust Devils, Primetime Adventures, and the like.

dindenver

Hi!
  I use Vassal for on-line playtests of my RPG, but WebRPG works just as fine as well.

What did you think of OpenRPG? That's one I haven't tried, because of the Python requirement
Dave M
Author of Legends of Lanasia RPG (Still in beta)
My blog
Free Demo