News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Reads Like PTA

Started by Bill Cook, February 09, 2006, 04:08:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Cook

Check out Warren Ellis' Ocean series, now collected in graphic novel format. As I was reading it, I kept thinking, this has that spunky character focus contrasted with a larger dilemma. The glib one-liners, it's all there. Reads like a PTA campaign play log.

Matt Wilson

Don't tell anyone, especially Warren, but I don't think I've ever read anything of his. Didn't he write a story that they based a Don Johnson movie on? I saw that once.

Ron Edwards

Massive geek coronary.

Harlan Ellison: notable pop-culture author and commentator; especially famous for organizing the Dangerous Visions collections in the 1960s and early 1970s. His short story "A Boy and His Dog" (available in the collection titled "The Beast That Shouted Love at the Heart of the World") was adapted to a movie version in the early 1970s, starring Don Johnson.

Warren Ellis: comics writer and pundit, author of many things but especially (for Forgies) a collection of essays called "Come In Alone." Extremely active on-line, currently engaged in a variety of experimental comics projects.

Not the same guy.

Best,
Ron

P.S. Boy, I hate geek-on displays of "I'm so fringe-culture savvy" ... but this, oh my God, this I could not let stand.

Matt Wilson

QuoteP.S. Boy, I hate geek-on displays of "I'm so fringe-culture savvy" ... but this, oh my God, this  I could not let stand.

That's okay, Ron. I forgive your act of brain damage.

Mark Woodhouse

I've long suspected that Warren Ellis is in fact somebody rp-ing Harlan Ellison. Of course, these days Harlan is rp-ing being Harlan.