News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Bronze] setting / cultures

Started by stefoid, February 13, 2006, 08:59:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stefoid

QuoteIt's not the setting that makes these sell. It's that they're good games. That's why people create such cool alternate settings for them.

Its pretty easy to do what your suggesting that I do, which is to go 'wow, this system works' and rip it off blind, and release it tweaked to my own setting.

If the games are as good as you say, then eventually they'll be assimilated by all and sundry and you wont have the 'early mover' advantage anymore.  then it comes back to setting or premise again, doesnt it?

joepub

QuoteIts pretty easy to do what your suggesting that I do, which is to go 'wow, this system works' and rip it off blind, and release it tweaked to my own setting.

It doesn't seem to me like this was the suggestion at all.

There have been a few suggestions made....
-Develop a setting/campaign structure, which is applicable to any appropriate game.
-Develop a campaign setting specific to a game (check out the TSoY or Sorcerer forums to get a few samples of this.)

They weren't discouraging you from writing a game, but were suggesting that if all that you like is writinig setting, then you could do some more reccomended reading, and see if you just want to create a setting book.

Joshua A.C. Newman

Well, here's the thing: The Shadow of Yesterday is under the Creative Commons license. That means:

Quote from: Clinton R. Nixon on December 06, 2004, 09:42:04 PM]I meant it earlier when I told Keith Senkowski that you could get all new art, re-format it, and publish it yourself. Better though - this means you can make your own supplements and sell them.

... so you'd be hard-pressed to rip off something that he's giving you. Judd Karlman (aka Paka) is doing this with First Quest I believe.

So here's what I think will happen: Steve will write a setting with relevant information for TSoY rules. Then he'll start to realize the rules don't quite address what he's after. So he'll change a rule, which will have repurcussions on other rules... then he'll discover that he likes Dogs' Town Creation rules or something, and integrate that, but it'll require a little change over here in the TSoY rules, then he'll discover that he likes the way Demons work in Sorcerer, but that totally doesn't work in the game as written, so he'll have to change a bunch of stuff. Then he'll get an excellent idea about how to represent Favor that will mean he needs a new conflict res system... and before he knows it, he'll have a new game altogether.
the glyphpress's games are Shock: Social Science Fiction and Under the Bed.

I design books like Dogs in the Vineyard and The Mountain Witch.