News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Little Details of your setting

Started by Levi Kornelsen, February 04, 2006, 05:11:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warren

Ooh, I really love all the trees ideas here. Consider them stolen.

The only thing I can add is various bits of religious paraphernalia; specifically:

The Steward's Scarf - As Dog has his Coat, so a Steward has his scarf. Usually about four inches wide and two yards long - although some are over twenty feet in length - these patchwork strips are dyed in bright colors and include simple geometric shapes in the same way as a Dog's coat. Some less-traditional folk wear scarves that feature representative scenes and imagery from the Book of Life embroidered upon them. These scarves are not only worn, as they often adorn the house of the Steward as well.

Prayer beads - simple strings of wooden, metal, stone or clay beads used during prayer. They are made locally by each Branch, from whatever materials are to hand. They represent the Faithful's commitment to the King of Life, as one prayer is said for every bead at sunrise. Most folk usually wear ten to twenty beads as a necklace or bracelet, whilst Stewards, Dogs and the like can have upwards of one hundred.

I'm thinking of maybe having various color beads in my next game, with a slightly different color for each town. Most will be brown or beige to some degree, but the natural pigment in the river clay of Emerald Falls Branch causes the prayer beads crafted there to be a distinctive turquoise color, and those Faithful who travel a lot (Dogs, for example) could have beads of many different colors. A unique colour prayer bead could also become a source of Pride as well...

Warren

IMAGinES

Quote from: Warren on February 09, 2006, 08:24:19 AM
The Steward's Scarf - As Dog has his Coat, so a Steward has his scarf. Usually about four inches wide and two yards long - although some are over twenty feet in length - these patchwork strips are dyed in bright colors and include simple geometric shapes in the same way as a Dog's coat.

"Are you the Steward?"

"No, I'm the Doctor. Have a jelly baby?"

:-)
Always Plenty of Time!

Warren

Heh - true enough, although I think I stole the idea unconsciously from the stole a Catholic Priest wears at mass. Mix that up with Dogly colours, and yes, you get Tom Baker :)

Gallifrey Branch, anyone? ;)

IMAGinES

Ah, I see. I couldn't help but think that the colouring about the edges of the cope (from that web page) would be the sort of style you had in mind.

Thank you for that link!
Always Plenty of Time!