News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

To think I knew him when...

Started by R de R, March 01, 2006, 05:31:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R de R

Wow, I just came across Capes and the Forge after getting a word-of-mouth recommendation from someone at a MMORPG legal conference in Feb for something new that would "blow my hair back." 

Well, not only am I glad to still have hair after nearly 30 years of gaming (gasp, has it been that long!) but I'm just smiling like crazy.

I just had to say hi to Tony!  Its been a few years.

For those of you who haven't met the man....

I met Tony LB something like 10 years ago when I had some of the most fun ever playing in his Castle Falk game.  I just got out of grad school, had some rusty gaming chops I wanted to exercise and hit it big with a decent group in Northern Virginia willing to put up with me and take me under their wing.  Not only is Tony one of the most fun gamers you could run with, he's gotta be one of the best GMs around.  And to boot, he's just one of those rare, really good guys who usually has a nice word for everyone.

And for those of you who think I'm angling for a free copy of Capes, er, well, erm, I AM!  :)  JK.

Now I gotta figure out a way to teach my munchkin to game with me...any chance someone can recommend a RPG for a dad to teach his six year old demon princess???  Capes that friendly to youngsters of that age?  I'm gonna go check out the rules and demos.

Give my best to everyone at home.

Cheers, Robert Burns

Zamiel

Quote from: R de R on March 01, 2006, 05:31:45 PM
Now I gotta figure out a way to teach my munchkin to game with me...any chance someone can recommend a RPG for a dad to teach his six year old demon princess???  Capes that friendly to youngsters of that age?  I'm gonna go check out the rules and demos.

Capes is probably a little strategy-rich for a six year old, but ... because I'm vaguely obsessive about collecting references to good, kid-friendly games I have http://www.harlekin-maus.com/games/shadows/shadows.html, which goes over to Shadows ...

My niece and nephew wanted a roleplaying game, and in a mad inspirational dash, I designed Shadows. Children are not all smiles and kindness, but rather innocence and curiosity. And with this curiosity comes their desire to explore, to push boundaries and, consequently, get in trouble. Often, a child feels blameless. To quote my youngest brother, my mind made me do it! From these memories and the children now in my life, the driving concept behind Shadows was made clear.

I think this is exactly the thing you're looking for.
Blogger, game analyst, autonomous agent architecture engineer.
Capes: This Present Darkness, Dragonstaff

Andrew Morris

Download: Unistat

TonyLB

Quote from: R de R on March 01, 2006, 05:31:45 PMI just had to say hi to Tony!  Its been a few years.

Heya Robert!  It's a little bit shameful to me that we get back in touch by internet, given that we live so close.  I choose as my scape-goat ... modern culture!  Yes!

Quote from: R de R on March 01, 2006, 05:31:45 PMAnd for those of you who think I'm angling for a free copy of Capes, er, well, erm, I AM!  :)  JK.

HAhahahaHAhahaaa ... No.

Quote from: R de R on March 01, 2006, 05:31:45 PMNow I gotta figure out a way to teach my munchkin to game with me...any chance someone can recommend a RPG for a dad to teach his six year old demon princess???  Capes that friendly to youngsters of that age?  I'm gonna go check out the rules and demos.

I second Nighttime Animals from personal experience.  I played it with my eldest when he was just four, and he just flailed around telling whatever story he thought was funny at the time (often forgetting what was going on in favor of something that just popped into his head) and it worked fine.  I think it would probably be easier for a six year old to grasp the rough concept of a narrative line, and the strategies implied in the mechanics, which would make it better.

I've run Capes demoes for some pretty young kids (yougest of ... nine?  Brennan, you out there?  How old are your kids?) and it works out well with a lot of hand-holding on the rules.  Six is probably a bit young though.
Just published: Capes
New Project:  Misery Bubblegum