News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Steel Shadows] The Power 19

Started by Clinton R. Nixon, February 28, 2006, 11:57:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CLawrence

Doh! My post three posts back should have read 'more of a taker than a giver'. Edit?

P.S. I agree with CommonDialog that equipment should probably have something to do with shadow vs. steel.

Russell Collins

I like what I'm hearing, and the more I read it sounds like we're on parrallel tracks(Second one on the page.)

In addition to those "stealth restore points" should you also include "health restore points?" Or even if you decide to go with multiple characters for each player, that can be the "reinforcement room" where a new character can catch up. If that's used, then maybe players are meant to build each ninja with a portion of their pool and the challenge is getting through the GM's dice without spending all their "lives."

But we already know I like disposable heroes. As for the player buy-in, Tenchu is a video game right? Your ninja will all be dressed in black right? They're already pretty interchangeable if you consider the different dice as different play styles. (This time I'm gonna get to the Metal Gear without ever raising the alarm! This time I'm gonna shiv every soldier on the way! etc.) If people can love old skool game characters like Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden! Classic!) they should be able to get into enjoying the simple coolness of the ninja.

I still like the concept of deteriorating stealth based on sword bad-assery. Especially when you consider that a patrol of guards could just as easily be following the ninja. When they find the bodies, or blood-sprays on the walls, they aren't likely to assume all is well.

Maybe covering your trail is another skill?
My homeworld was incinerated by orbital bombardment and all I got was this lousy parasite.

Russell Collins
Composer, sound designer, gamer, dumpling enthusiast.

Troy_Costisick

Heya,

QuoteIn addition to those "stealth restore points" should you also include "health restore points?" Or even if you decide to go with multiple characters for each player, that can be the "reinforcement room" where a new character can catch up.

-I was under the impression that Clinton wanted the characters to be more one shot uses.  This way, the players grew attatched to the setting/story rather than the individual characters.  The Clan becomes the protagonist rather than each person's individual avatar.  I might be totally wrong about this, so I'll let him clarify.  But the one shot aspect is something that really drew my attention initially. (not that it's waned any hehe)

Peace,

-Troy

Sydney Freedberg

The advantage of returning characters (especially with character advancement) is that it helps players care about them -- which makes it more fun to kill them. What's the dilemma in "I can preserve the life of my Nameless Ninja #13, or sacrifice him for the mission"? Compare to "I can save Bob-San, my 13th level Ninja/8th level Wallaby I have been playing for six months, or let him take it in the neck for the clan"?

Clinton R. Nixon

People, I'm going to go ahead and close this topic. It's gotten very much off topic - it's become about a different game a few of you are imagining, ignoring the initial design goals. I thank you for being interested, and hope that you'll take this other game off and develop it.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games