News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Obstacles In the Actual Play Forum

Started by ErrathofKosh, March 01, 2006, 05:38:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ErrathofKosh

It has been quite some time since I've visited the Forge, due to life events.  Suffice it to say, the wheel has swung around and I've started roleplaying and looking to design a game once again.  Apparently the site has changed enormously! 

When I was last here it was recommended that I try posting in the Actual Play forum to help enlighten others as to my experiences and to help illustrate my concerns about playing.  I believe that this is appropriate and even a little genius. But, I have one issue.

It started when I came back.  I browsed through the new-look forum and got the sense that Actual Play was even more promoted as the starting point for newbies or people deciding to return.  So I headed there and began to browse other people's threads to get some sense of what was "normal."  What I found was actually discouraging!  Many of the threads assumed I knew something about the game being played.  I had difficulty each time determining what the instant of play was actually like, what the issues were, or even what the point of the post was.

As the starting place for anyone coming to the Forge, I find the Actual Play forum to be woefully opaque.  Perhaps it's just me.

There are three things that I would like to read about when I open an Actual Play thread:  what the characters did, what the players did, and a conclusion or question.  I think, for the most part, that this is attempted.  But, what I have observed occurring is that the author of a thread describes the characters and events in game-speak, while often assuming that what the players did can be extrapolated from what they said OOC or what their character did. 

If this was my first time, I might be scared off.  But I know that this is best place online to discuss playing and designing roleplaying games.  I intend to stay.  But I think that perhaps the intent and form of Actual play threads needs to be revisited. 
Cheers,
Jonathan

Ron Edwards

Hiya,

Welcome back. I suggest posting the way you have described, and therefore becoming part of the solution.

Best,
Ron