News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Polaris] A convention game

Started by Joe Murphy (Broin), March 22, 2006, 11:56:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Murphy (Broin)

Sunday afternoon, I'm due to 'run' an introductory session of Polaris. This is taking place as part of the 'Indie Games Track' at Conpulsion, a gaming con in Edinburgh. I have an hour.

I'd like some feedback on what I have planned, and I'd also like to hear from others who have run con games recently.

I haven't played Polaris (Game Chef sucked up the time from my regular group last week) and so I'm a little worried I'll strike out with some the mechanics. But as the game is so much about tone and mood and (glorious) Color, I'm not *that* worried. System will happen.

Characters will be simple. I'll probably trim out some of the traits just so that players have 1-3 things to grasp, rather than 5 or 6.

I'll provide a page with the key phases for each player. And a little, *little* about the setting. With luck I can find some suggestive art. But having the book on the table will help, as the art's so beautifully _sparse_.

I very much don't want to be in charge of the fun. I'm hoping in a 'getting to know you stage' at the beginning that I'll at least find out who at the table is comfortable with new folk, and thus suggest they tackle the second scene. Afterwards, I want to just gently suggest things to the rest of the group, without providing any sort of story or impetus.

But I expect I'll take a Mistaken role first just to show how my job is to provide conflict, and I'll ask the Moons for advice and aid with NPCs. Leading by example should work.

Is there anything else I should plan for? Any common pitfalls with Polaris in conventions?

Joe.

Ben Lehman

Hey, Joe --

First and foremost, thanks very much for running Polaris at a con.

Here's my advice:

1)  General first session advice is this:  Make sure you're very comfortable about the interactions between the conflict key phrases, and the limitations of guidance.

2) For a con game, I'd just do full character creation and jump in.  When you have the opportunity (i.e. you are the Heart or the Mistaken) push for Experience hard.

3) Freely give suggestions to other folks if they're having trouble with their scenes.

4) Parse other people's statements strongly.  If they seem to want to have a long-term effect, suggest a chance to the Themes or the Cosmos.

Can anyone else think of some good advice for a con game?

yrs--
--Ben

Joe Murphy (Broin)

That's good stuff, Ben.

I have the conflict reference sheet and key phrases sheet printed off, to keep me on track. I've been playing TSOY recently, and formalising conflicts has really helped structure the game, so I'll keep those experiences in mind too.

And those nifty new character sheets by Frank T's friend that appeared on the forum a few weeks ago look *good*.

Joe.

Joe Murphy (Broin)