News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Revisiting the What-show-do-you-want-to-run thread

Started by Norbert Matausch, January 03, 2006, 10:46:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Harper

Amen to that, Judd.

We probably won't use anything here in actual play, but tossing out ideas here is almost like playing a little forum-based PTA mini-game.

In that spirit, here's another one (laser-sharked! yeah!):

Enchanted
In the spirit of American Chopper, Enchanted is a reality show about a magic-item production shop in a big city, the colorful personalities that work there, and the challenges they face.
Agon: An ancient Greek RPG. Prove the glory of your name!

IMAGinES

Quote from: Paka on February 01, 2006, 07:36:56 PM
All of these sound cool but it is so much cooler when this shit comes together at the table.

Honestly, I hate to even suggest hard and fast cool ideas.  I like the snowball effect.

Yeah, but this is just a bit of forum fun!

Speaking for myself: DEEP ANGEL.

And not the current version of it either. The original, where it was the UN Armada, not the US Navy, vs. the Kalithan Empire, and there was more than one Angelus-class supercav carrier.
Always Plenty of Time!

IMAGinES

Quote from: DainXB on February 01, 2006, 07:18:48 PM
Some how, some way, I want to run this...

CSI: Innsmouth

Okay, because it must be asked: Which song by The Who would be the theme tune?
Always Plenty of Time!

DainXB

Quote from: IMAGinES on February 01, 2006, 11:20:49 PM
Quote from: DainXB on February 01, 2006, 07:18:48 PM
Some how, some way, I want to run this...

CSI: Innsmouth

Okay, because it must be asked: Which song by The Who would be the theme tune?

Since the characters are all descendants of famous/infamous Lovecraft protagonists -- "My Generation".  :)

--Dain

Chris Peterson

My favorite meta-meta-game idea for PTA is the "Dungeon Majesty", where PTA gamers play D&D gamers who create a TV show about playing D&D!

http://www.innocence.com/games/dungeon-majesty/
chris

Frank T

Here's the concept for a show that German TV could really use. PtA would be the second best choice. It's called "Am Bodden". It's set in a small town in the most north-eastern corner of Germany, just by the Polish border and the Baltic Sea, or rather, the "Bodden", which is a salt water lake separated from the Baltic Sea by a small streak of land. Never mind.

The area is desolate. Unemployment is well above 25%, there is no development, no perspective. Kids either get pregnant or go away. The protagonists are just that: 19-year-old kids that either stayed or went away. The show would address all the deep issues that Germany has been turning a blind eye on for 15 years. It'd tell a story of regret and nostalgia, about unwillingness to change, about xenophobia, about getting estranged from one's home, about resignation, but also about hope, however small.

The main challenge I see would be the depiction of the extreme political right in the show. As a matter of fact, these tendencies are a part of everyday life in rural areas of Eastern Germany. Representatives of the NPD (National Party of Germany) and a bunch of illegal Skinhead organizations are often the only people the kids feel understand them. I think German politicians and media are doing a very bad job addressing this problem.

So "Am Bodden" would not depict these groups in a condemning, clichéd, all-negative way. It would show them the way they are, and what they offer to the kids, and leave it to the audience to judge for themselves.

The show would feature the summer holidays when all the kids that left the town to make their luck in Berlin or Hamburg return home. One of them would of course bring his Turkish boyfriend / girlfriend.

Chris Goodwin

Quote from: Chris Peterson on February 21, 2006, 06:16:29 PM
My favorite meta-meta-game idea for PTA is the "Dungeon Majesty", where PTA gamers play D&D gamers who create a TV show about playing D&D!

http://www.innocence.com/games/dungeon-majesty/

That is my absolute favorite PTA series of all time.  Not a whole lot of "How do you play PTA?" there, but damn if I can't still see scenes from the show in my head and hear the actors delivering their lines.  If I won the lottery, and I'm talking the 300 million dollar Powerball biggie, I would so produce that show.  The casting budget would kill but would it ever be worth it. 
Chris Goodwin
cgoodwin@gmail.com