News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Why can't we edit posts?

Started by Sindyr, March 19, 2006, 05:50:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sindyr

I make a ton of spelling mistakes, grammar snafu's, etc.

Why can't we edit posts we have made?  I have seen other forums do this.  Is there some technical reason preventing it, or is this a forge wide or Muse-of-Fire-wide policy? If so, why?
-Sindyr

Glendower

Ron's mentioned it in a few threads, do a search for "edit posts" and see some explanations.

Basically, it is the same reason you can't delete threads.  It keeps people honest. 

If I post "X is a complete Moron"

Then later edit it to say "X is not a complete moron"

I can then deny that I ever posted the original, and then moderators have to step in, and it gets messy.

And honestly, no one cares if you spell stuff wrong, or put a comma, in, the wrong place.  *chuckle*
Hi, my name is Jon.

Sindyr

I just kick myself when I misstype something that 1) is still a word so the spellchecker doesnt find it and 2) significantly alters the meaning of what I was trying to say.
QuoteA tone of questions of mine have been answered
is what I said recently - which might come accross as snippy or sarcastic, when I really meant to type:
QuoteA ton of questions of mine have been answered
However, I suppose if I were perspicacious enough I would scan for those things in detail before posting and also when finding them after posting, would post a followup reply correcting it.

Ah well, my spelling, and any related fallout, is my own cross to bear.

Thanks for the explanation. I figured it something like that.
-Sindyr

Valamir

Things to try:

Write the post in Word with spell check and grammar turned on.  Then copy and paste it into the post box.

Make use of the Preview button to check things out before hitting submitt.

Make use of the Spell Check button at the bottom of the post

Sindyr

I must embarrassingly admit to already be doing those things - what slips through get through because, like in the above example, the mis-spelling I do creates a valid word which is not ungrammatical in the accidental use.  Like saying "I have a tone of questions" where I meant to type "ton" and the e slipped in somehow.  And I didn't catch upon review.  Ah well, no matter.  I will just have to lean on all of you to assume that if you see something that seems to be weird, its probably a misstype.
-Sindyr