News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Properly citing media...

Started by daMoose_Neo, March 09, 2006, 12:59:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daMoose_Neo

I'm assembling an assorted list of movies, TV shows, and musicians that I've found inspiring and/or thematic for my latest book. Now its been a bit since I've been through the writing courses, so I've lost my reference guide on citations and was hoping someone could point me in the direction of a good place that'll cover citing the newer media. At the moment, I've got a copy of GURPS Time Travel on my desk that does something similar, which I'm using for a rough reference. 
Nate Petersen / daMoose
Neo Productions Unlimited! Publisher of Final Twilight card game, Imp Game RPG, and more titles to come!

Andrew Morris

There is no "law" or unified rule on citation. The format of it varies based on what style guide you are using. With that said, it sounds like you're looking for a more academic style guide (AMA or MLA vs. AP, for example). Examples of MLA citation here and here. Examples of AMA citation here and here. You can find plenty of other sites online.

Of course, if you don't care about all that, the only thing you need to worry about is providing enough information that a reader can find the referenced material on their own, which is the ultimate purpose of any citation.
Download: Unistat

daMoose_Neo

I'd like it to appear half-way professional, instead of "Here's a list of stuff! Have at it!", so yea, a style guide is what I'm more or less looking for. Granted, I won't be nearly as picky with the innane formatting, but the information and general formating will help me. Didn't think there were any laws on citations like this, especially since I'm not using any of the material, just saying "This is similar"~
Nate Petersen / daMoose
Neo Productions Unlimited! Publisher of Final Twilight card game, Imp Game RPG, and more titles to come!

Andrew Morris

By "half-way professional," what exactly do you mean? A newspaper article, brochure, and white paper all look "professional," but they use vastly different styles.

Despite making a living by worrying over the little details of written works, I have to say that most people won't notice it, one way or the other. If you look at the White Wolf books (I'm thinking of...uhm....second edition and revised edition V:tM), they just had a list of movie titles, books (with author), and music artists. Seemed to work well in the context of the text to me.

And if anyone makes a comment about it, just tell them that it's correct according to the DMN style guide, which you use in all your publications. Just don't mention what it stands for -- daMoose_Neo.
Download: Unistat

daMoose_Neo

True ^_^

Thanks, Andrew, got what I need ^_^
Nate Petersen / daMoose

Troy_Costisick

Heya,

I know you got what you need, but I thought if you ever wanted to cite sources in a quick and easy way I suggest using this site: http://www.citationmachine.net/  I have my students use it to help them with their research papers and editorials.  :)

Peace,

-Troy

KeithBVaughn

Hi deMoose Neo,

In my game: "Planets of Peril," I have a page in my Prologue section entitled "Sources of Inspiration." It's a long standing practice to list books and movies to read/watch to get into the world (s) the game is trying to portray. I do it by author, series, individual title in a series of indents. I do not do direct quotes since this is a game, not a research paper an I'm only trying to get flavor across.

I also list amazon.com as a possible source to find these out of print stories.

Keith
Idea men are a dime a dozen--and overpriced!