News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Resource: Forrester's Principles of Systems

Started by David Bapst, March 17, 2006, 09:16:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Bapst

Hey Forgites,
First off, sorry I've faded out of discussions over the past year. Research in paleobiology has been the focus of most of my attention, but I have been getting some game design in. Hopefully I'll have something to show off in the summer time.

Secondly, while doing fact-checking on Chrichton's recent novel State of Fear, I came across a reference to a beautiful little goldmine known as the Principles of Systems, by Jay Forrester. It's sort of a textbook on system structure (social systems, mechanical systems, economic systems, business systems, ecological systems, you name it) and it can even be applied to gaming systems. A lot of the chapters on flowcharts I found really interesting and applicable to general system design. Some of the deeper ideas, like integration functions creating dynamic system behavior (chaotic system behavior) I found especially interesting. Obviously modeling gaming systems in a computer doesn't work (how do you model a player's narrative choices?), I think currency flow, reward systems and inter-related system mechanics can all be described using the terms in this book.

Well, anyway, I just wanted to let you guys know about it. It's not really in print anymore, but anyone with access to a university library should be able to find a copy. I highly reccommend it as a resource for game system design. I know I'll certainly be using flowcharts even more than before in my designs.

Thank you for your time,
-Dave Bapst

Mark Johnson

David,

Are you applying Forrester's Principles to a design you are working on?  How?

Also, you might find John Kirk's Design Patterns useful:

http://www.20by20room.com/2005/09/john_kirks_desi.html

Best,
Mark