News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

I want to see character examples

Started by Ron Edwards, June 06, 2001, 09:48:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Edwards

Hey there,

So, some few of you out there have actually played my utterly reprehensible game.

I'd like to see some of the characters!! Post'em here. Tell me about them.

Or, if you haven't played and own the game, make up some characters and do the same.

Something tells me that Elf characters might have more observer-entertainment value than a usual RPG character.

Best,
Ron

james_west

Haven't actually played it yet, although I've got it in the pre-reg catalog for a convention at the end of summer.

One thing that occurs to my min/max oriented brain is that you're probably better off specializing in either dumb luck OR low cunning, but not trying to get much of both.

Jack Spencer Jr

Shit Ferbrains (f)
spunk: 3
low cunning 1
dumb luck 3

genital stage airhead

Red hair, horned helmet green eyes, white peasant blouse, red plaid kilt, lots of rings (at least one per finger) white go-go boots.

Big cartoony pitch fork

~^v~~^v~~^v~~^v~~^v~~^v~~^v~~^v~~^v~~^v~~^v~~^v~~^v~

Sharpy Mark (m)

Spunk 1
low cunning 3
Dumb Luck 5

anal stage  wise-ass

Sandy blond hair.  hat on backwards. no shirt.  thin chain necklace (might be gold but...) pant riding low so underpants are showing.  dumb-ass smirk.

big cartoony mallet.

~^v~~^v~~^v~~^v~~^v~~^v~~^v~~^v~~^v~~^v~~^v~

The wife & I cobbled up these characters to give the game a go.  It was just me & her and I was trying to run *AND* play an NPC...all w/o any preparation whatsoever.  The game didn't last for obvious reason but we did give the rules a bit of a go.

I basically run an RPG version of TSR's old Dungeon board game or something inspired by that game.  My character quickly got lost so she was on her own because it was just too tough trying to control a NPC at the same time....especially since I have nil GMing experience  Hoo-ha!

She ran with the idea of doing interesting things instead of typical "I try to hit" stuff.  Mostly inspired by Xena.  However, she did mostly Low Cunning stuff rather than Dumb Luck stuff, which doesn't make sense given her stats.

This doesn't bother me.  I suspect it's like rocks.

When a friend of mind described the first time he'd played the Cheapass Game Bitin Off Heds, nobody really bothered throwing the rocks at the other players, until the first attempt was effective.  Then rocks started flying everyplace.

Dumb Luck, I suspect, works along these same lines.  When the group first starts playing nobody really thinks about dumb luck, until it really works for someone the first time then it'll start happening all the time.

I hope to get a chance to really run this game sometime soon.  I don't know if I'll use the same characters or not.  I didn't spend a lot of time on character creation.  Pick stats, select stage and demeanor, create a description.  select a big cartoony weapon and go, baby, go.

Ron Edwards

Ha! Those are great characters.

I've run Elfs a few times, but unfortunately don't have records of the characters involved. This is what I recall of them from the last time.

Patio (pa-TEE-yo) Furniture (foor-nee-too-RAY)
genital stage, male
kind of a pompous snobby type

Jelly
genital stage, female
can't remember the actual designation, but a butt-kicker

Bob
oral stage, female
total burnout dope-smokin' sort

I know it's totally non-Forge to gush about in-game events, but I swear to GOD I did not engineer or railroad the scene in which PF (above) was enwrapped in the naga's coils and magically charmed ... and he promptly acted entirely consistently with that condition ...

I had to GM/role-play an evil naga having an orgasm. Dav, I will never forgive you.

Best,
Ron

Dav

Yeah, I'm a real snake-in-the-grass... er... snake-in-the-snake.

Basing this on my experiences playing the game, I must mention that the level of wild antics are made much more amusing by being a magic-slinging elf.  The ability to create spectacularly non-useful effects at will has the added effect of making things more tense, as well as more inventive when the elf uses the previously useless spell to (accidentally) ingenious ends.

All-in-all, this game ranks up there with Tales of the Floating Vagabond for hilarity.

Dav

jburneko

Still haven't played Elfs but if I did, I would play this character:

Taylor Threadbare

Spunk 3, Low Cunning 1, Dumb Luck 3

Demeanor: poser-cool

Oral Stage - Taylor always has one of the following four
things in his mouth: Needles, Thread, Scissors or Tape Measure.

Big Cartoony Gleaming Pair of Scissors

Taylor's personal mission in life is to create a vast fashion empire by designing clothing for every known living creature on the face of the earth.  Unfornately, not many creatures will hold still long enough for Taylor to take measurements so he must either kill them first or at least pin them down hard with his famous pair of gleaming scissors.  

But no matter what he's up to Taylor ALWAYS has some
indescribable article of clothing that he is either sewing
or cutting from a seemingly infinite length of cloth that
he's alawys caught up in.  Aside from being always enveloped in his cloth Taylor sports a flashy beret, a wool sweater vest and some snappy looking loafers.

Jesse

Jack Spencer Jr

On 2001-07-19 02:24, pblock wrote:

I'm currently offering a gazillion-bijillion dollar reward to anyone who can figure out what the heck I meant when I said this.

I get the feeling the money is safe.

greyorm

On 2001-09-10 23:03, pblock wrote:
On 2001-07-19 02:24, pblock wrote:

I'm currently offering a gazillion-bijillion dollar reward to anyone who can figure out what the heck I meant when I said this.

Read the example that followed the statement, wherein you talk about a game where no one threw the rocks until someone tried it and it worked, then they started flying.  You were comparing this to the use of Dumb Luck in games, where no one uses it until someone tries it and it works.

Now where's my gazillion-bijillion dollars?
Rev. Ravenscrye Grey Daegmorgan
Wild Hunt Studio

Jack Spencer Jr

Oh yeah, thanks.  And here I thought I wasbeing dense like I usually do.

The gazillion bijillion dollars is in the mail.  Did I mention it was all counterfeit Confederate money?  Silly old me.

(OK, that's enough of the thread hijacking but if that isn't an Elfs character I don't know what one is.)