News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

WGP Demo at Conpulsion

Started by Per Fischer, March 20, 2006, 12:37:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Per Fischer

Hi,
I am demoing WGP the coming weekend at Conpulsion in Edinburgh, Scotland.
I will be using Michael's Quick Demo Kit, but since I have an hour I can either run 2 or three groups through the basic demo or enlarge it a bit to also include conflict scenes. I kind of like the last option, and am planning for that at the moment.
(The QDK runs roughly 15 minutes with an Enrichment Scene to each player, including the GM).
The villain is Perjury and there will be 4 heroes.

Any thoughts or comments?
Per
--------
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

coffeestain

As unhelpful as this is, I'm getting ready to gear up for a demo of WGP at my local game store and am interested in both the hints and tips you'll be receiving, as well as the quick demo kit.  Is it downloadable somewhere?

Regards,
Daniel

Per Fischer

I got the demo (which is only four heroes, a villain, a thought balloon and two pages of accompanying text) through Malcom from Contested Ground Studios - I don't know if it's something Michael distributes, but I suppose it is.

Per
Per
--------

coffeestain

Thanks kindly, I'll check there!

Regards,
Daniel

Michael S. Miller

Hi, Per!

Thanks for running WGP... For an hour-long demo, you could just do a series of enrichment scenes, if you wanted. IME, players love the enrichment scenes!

But enrichment plus conflict is also a good bet. In that case, a couple things to keep in mind:

* Absolutely do not forget to make the players choose Strife Aspects. And then make a quick Plan. Since it's a demo, definitely make the plan publicly and explain what you're doing at each step of the way--thus you're demoing the Villain Plan stuff as well as enrichment and conflict.
* Set the nastiest Stakes you can devise for the conflict.
* I've found it best to explain the rules of the conflict system in pieces. First, picking a fight and declaring Stakes. Then, drawing cards and discarding. Then, play your first panel against one of the players, setting the suit and the opening characteristic of conflict. Then, explain to that player his 3 options: escalate, cancel, change style. Play out a pair of panels for each player. Once you come back to player 1 for his 2nd panel, then explain Assessment. Keep going until you have someone on the ropes. Only then should you explain how yielding works and the Story Arc.
* Oh, and for conflict, you will need a full set of multiple decks of cards, not just the single one for the Quick Demo.

Yes, I know I've got to get going on getting that full demo PDF ready for download!
Serial Homicide Unit Hunt down a killer!
Incarnadine Press--The Redder, the Better!

Per Fischer

Damn, that's good advice. I had nailed most of it myself, but the idea of making the plan in the open - that's perfect.

It's not because I want to force conflict scenes, maybe E-scenes will do, but it would be nice to be able to engage in conflict if a player asks "what happens if I throw the car in his face" kinda questions ;)

Per
Per
--------