News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Ongoing free-for-all Capes at my FLGS

Started by Matthew Glover, March 21, 2006, 10:39:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zamiel

Quote from: Matthew Glover on March 21, 2006, 10:40:44 PM
That cements it.  My wife is from Atlanta and we were already considering whether to go to Dragon*Con.  Soooo... I'll see you there.  :)

You'll just have to look for the little weird guy with the tall, hot redhead and the obsessive collection of obscure RPGs and boardgames, half bought from the dealer's room that very hour.

What, me an obsessive collector? No, never.
Blogger, game analyst, autonomous agent architecture engineer.
Capes: This Present Darkness, Dragonstaff

TonyLB

Quote from: Zamiel on March 21, 2006, 08:43:31 PM
"Goal: Zamiel goads Tony into revealing news about Capes 2.0 ..."

Is "There's not gonna be one" news?  I'm on other projects now.  I can make a thread to chatter about why I think Misery Bubblegum is gonna rocks yer socks, if anyone would be interested.
Just published: Capes
New Project:  Misery Bubblegum

dunlaing

Quote from: TonyLB on March 22, 2006, 08:33:05 AM
Quote from: Zamiel on March 21, 2006, 08:43:31 PM
"Goal: Zamiel goads Tony into revealing news about Capes 2.0 ..."

Is "There's not gonna be one" news?  I'm on other projects now.  I can make a thread to chatter about why I think Misery Bubblegum is gonna rocks yer socks, if anyone would be interested.

Dude, you only get to decide what the news is if you win the conflict! Duh!

I roll up the "Zamiel narrates" side with my Internet Pestering trait...I got a 6! WooHoo!

TonyLB

Zamiel

Quote from: TonyLB on March 22, 2006, 12:25:45 PM
Dude, you always get sixes.

Worse, I'm planning to use my Debt to split and drop Inspirations, so you're in trouble now.

(And note I explicitly didn't say you were writing it ... Insert maniacal laughter here. This would be a fine time to narrate away the responsibility.

If only it were that easy.)
Blogger, game analyst, autonomous agent architecture engineer.
Capes: This Present Darkness, Dragonstaff

Garg

Quote from: TonyLB on March 22, 2006, 08:33:05 AM

I read one of the playtest AP threads on it and well...  Kick off that thread!  I'd like to see why Misery Bubblegum has captured your interest.

Garg

dunlaing

Quote from: TonyLB on March 22, 2006, 12:25:45 PM
Dude, you always get sixes.
I know...what's that all about? I seem to get them, like, 17% of the time!

Matthew Glover

My first day of trying to encourage Capes Universe play didn't go so well.  For some reason, the people at my store who are most enthusiastic about Capes are kids between the ages of nine and fourteen.  They're good kids, but playing Capes with them is kind of nerve-wracking.

I ran four demos and except for one guy (age 13 or 14) who just kept saying "Uh, I don't get it" no matter how the rest of us tried to explain it, everyone I showed it to really liked the game.  Nobody bought a copy, but that may just be my poor salesmanship.  I can get people to go "Yeah, that's fun, I'd play that for sure."  I just can't get them all the way over to "Yes, I need to get this so I can play it with my group."

My next attempt is going to be talking to some people about getting together at the store to play a serious game.  I think I made a mistake in hoping to just draw people into a game.  Most of the people who were there today were willing to do a fifteen minute demo but sitting down to play for a couple of hours wasn't an option.  And I was reluctant to just start asking around for players because I would've immediately had eight kids volunteering to play before any adults stepped up.

TonyLB

Quote from: Matthew Glover on March 25, 2006, 10:46:59 PM
I just can't get them all the way over to "Yes, I need to get this so I can play it with my group."

May I point out that they don't need to buy it an play it with their group?  They can go play it with you at the game store.

Plus ... give it time.  Most people buy the game only after multiple exposures (word of mouth, followed by a demo, followed by dithering at the booth, followed by buying on-line seems the most common pattern).  Only at the crazed frenzy of shopping that is GenCon have I seen substantial numbers of people deviate from this pattern.

Matthew Glover

Quote from: TonyLB on March 27, 2006, 12:48:50 PM
May I point out that they don't need to buy it an play it with their group?  They can go play it with you at the game store.

That's a good point.  I'm about ready to slow down on running demos and ramp up with more two-to-four hour sessions at the store to get people more deeply engaged. 

I wrote up a new demo for last Saturday and it turned out to be somewhat...terrible.  After running it three times, I went back to my original one for the last demo of the afternoon and that one worked a lot better.  I know exactly what I did wrong, though, so today I've been revising and rewriting and I think Demo Three is going to be a barnburner.  If plays as well as I hope, I'm going to print up two or three extra copies.  There are several people at the store who I think could run a demo if somebody's interested and I'm in the middle of a game.