News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Sorcerers in Black

Started by cmnash, March 21, 2006, 11:36:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmnash

Was thinking about a setting for a Sorcerer game - Sorcerers in Black

Based on the Men in Black movies, the Sorcerers are police keeping humanity 'safe' from the Aliens hidden amongst them, while the Sorcerers' Demons are their Alien partners assigned to them to give them more capability to deal with rogue aliens

In this setting the Sorcerer rituals would be done with Technology that allowed the human police to control their Alien partners, but those partners would still have their incomprehensible ... Alien ...needs and desires.

Humantiy would be literally that - Humanity. As the police empathise with their Alien quarry or their partners - who are in essence slaves - they begin to put the Aliens before the great unwashed of humanity and therefore lose Humanity.  At Humanity 0 the character flees Earth to live with their Alien buddies.

I think it could be quite fun and would like to give it a try, but as I don't have a group to play Sorcerer at present, I thought I'd put it here in case anyone else fancied trying it out.

I think it might even make a mini-supplement ...

I am thinking of maybe trying to incorporate some of the new Dr Who into it in someway, but is there any feedback on the basic concept? 

Cheers, Colin

Danny_K

I think it's a wonderful idea.  A weird mix of "buddy" movie and conspiracy flick.  Are you thinking of this in a lighthearted, campy way, similar to the movie "Men in Black", or a grim, scary way similar to "X-Files"?  That would have a lot to do with the specific nature of the Demons, their Needs and Desires. 

I'd like to see a one-sheet of this, definitely. 
I believe in peace and science.

Ron Edwards

Although I applaud the enthusiasm, Colin, I've been hearing about how Sorcerer might be used in [fill-in-the-blank] genre for about ... um, it would be 12 years, now. Really, all you need is a threat to Humanity, and the game is set to go - whether funny or grim, futuristic or ancient, realistic or fantastical, or whatever.

By this late date, when someone posts, "Hey! You could use Sorcerer for cat-girl characters, who struggle with whether they're being objectified by their boyfriends!", my response has pretty much degenerated over the years from an enthusiastic support-post full of score descriptors and sorcery-ideas, to a tired grunt.

Your job, now, is play. I know you just tried, but really, from my perspective, you actually got ahead with the process, now that you and Bruce are on board together. One more person, and you're good. Look around for someone who's kind of peripheral to gaming ... a significant-other type gamer, for instance, or someone who dismissively says "Yeah, I used to do that" but somehow manages to browse a game-book while visiting, when no one's looking.

Best,
Ron

cmnash

Hi Danny,

Quote from: Danny_K on March 22, 2006, 11:42:45 AM
I think it's a wonderful idea. A weird mix of "buddy" movie and conspiracy flick. Are you thinking of this in a lighthearted, campy way, similar to the movie "Men in Black", or a grim, scary way similar to "X-Files"? That would have a lot to do with the specific nature of the Demons, their Needs and Desires.

I'd like to see a one-sheet of this, definitely.

I was thinking either really - as you say it would depend on the specifics and what you wanted.  As the inspiration for the idea was the movies, I would probably default to a light-hearted feeling, but as you say it would be easy to make it more gritty

Quote from: Ron Edwards on March 22, 2006, 04:40:35 PM
Although I applaud the enthusiasm, Colin, I've been hearing about how Sorcerer might be used in [fill-in-the-blank] genre for about ... um, it would be 12 years, now. Really, all you need is a threat to Humanity, and the game is set to go - whether funny or grim, futuristic or ancient, realistic or fantastical, or whatever.

By this late date, when someone posts, "Hey! You could use Sorcerer for cat-girl characters, who struggle with whether they're being objectified by their boyfriends!", my response has pretty much degenerated over the years from an enthusiastic support-post full of score descriptors and sorcery-ideas, to a tired grunt.

I'm not surpised given that you must get loads of these ideas. I posted this one as I had the idea and thought it might resonate and/or be useful to someone else ... and not too lose yet another 'cool idea for a game' that I seem to have with great regularity and never have the chance to put into practice :(

Quote from: Ron Edwards on March 22, 2006, 04:40:35 PM
Your job, now, is play. I know you just tried, but really, from my perspective, you actually got ahead with the process, now that you and Bruce are on board together. One more person, and you're good. Look around for someone who's kind of peripheral to gaming ... a significant-other type gamer, for instance, or someone who dismissively says "Yeah, I used to do that" but somehow manages to browse a game-book while visiting, when no one's looking.

We have a volunteer/victim lined up already and hope to actually have a chance to play the game soon (Wow!) and will post about it if that ever actually happens ...

Cheers, Colin