News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Games for Goblins

Started by Vulpinoid, February 23, 2010, 03:48:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vulpinoid

I've been inspired by a couple of things lately.

1. TA storygames thread about games you'd like other people to design.

2. The gaming anthology "Norwegian Style"

3. Old style games compendiums.

4. Another storygames thread about artists looking for game designers.

5. The idea of how games and roleplaying might have developed in a very different paradigm to our current understanding.

Combining these concepts, I'm thinking of developing a boxed set through "The Game Crafter".

The box will contain 2 booklets. One purely an art book, the other an assortment of games inspired by that art. In addition the game box will provide everything needed to play the games on offer...a few dice, an assortment of tokens, some pawns or movement markers, a custom deck of cards and a board marked with some kind of abstraction (possibly concentric circles divided into sectors) which could be used as an abstract distance chart for combat, or anything else of that could be imagined by a game designer.

A variety of game designers would offer a game of no more than 10 pages using some subset of these components, and inspired by the artwork. Some would be roleplaying games from the perspective of an exotic culture, others would be games specifically designed for telling stories from that cultures perspective, some might hopefully push the envelope to levels I haven't considered. The entire booklet would contain a dozen or so of these games (maybe more if we get more people interested).

I'll be running the project as a contest, with a specific set of components declared once I get a few interested takers. Depending on how many people offer their game ideas, everyone who contributes a game will be able to purchase a copy of the set at cost price. Everyone whose game makes it into the compendium will be able to purchase as many copies of the set as they wish at cost price. I'll be sending free copies of the final compendium to the contributor who provides the most interesting game within the context of the artwork, and the contributor who make the most innovative game using the specified components.

I'll be looking to start the contest on the next equinox (22nd March, 2010), declaring all the components and providing the booklet of inspiration artwork. The contest will run until the following solstice (22nd June 2010). 3 months should give people enough time to write something up, develop and refine their ideas, then submit something that can be laid out by me. The final product is tentatively scheduled for release on the next equinox (22nd September 2010), coincidentally timing with Gencon Oz.

If anyone has thoughts at this stage, immediate game ideas, suggestions for specific components in the compendium, feel free to comment.
A.K.A. Michael Wenman
Vulpinoid Studios The Eighth Sea now available for as a pdf for $1.

Vulpinoid

Oh..if anyone's confused by the subject title, a hint of the images can be found on my blog.
A.K.A. Michael Wenman

Vulpinoid

I've added a new page to my website for the Games for Goblins project.

If you just want to look at the book, here's a link to the pdf

I've generated up a Google Group to serve as a focal point for the games designed, and an impromptu forum.

Hopefully, there will be some interesting ideas spawned from this.
A.K.A. Michael Wenman

Vulpinoid

In case anyone's interested, I've put up some game ideas for this project on the google group.

The way things are going it's looking like this will be more of a long term project rather than a short term contest.
A.K.A. Michael Wenman

Telarus, KSC

You should look into the box-set of Stonehenge, a collection of games that were all built out of the same set of pieces by people like Richard Garfield, etc, etc. I had to use it for a school design project and it's a good set of pieces to build a game around, or to compare a similar project to.

http://paizo.com/titanicGames/v5748btpy7vq5
Joshua AE Fontany, KSC

Vulpinoid

I've looked at the Stonehenge boxed set.

Yes, it's the kind of thing I was aiming for...but at this stage, unless I get some more input from other designers, I think this project is a bust.
A.K.A. Michael Wenman