News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Freeform characters and Styles

Started by Sindyr, March 31, 2006, 02:19:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sindyr

From another thread, broken out into its own:
Are there any rules about how many and which Styles must be powered when generating a character by hand?  Can I have 5 Styles with no powered Styles, or ALL powered styles, or anywhere in between?
-Sindyr

drnuncheon

Quote from: Sindyr on March 31, 2006, 02:19:38 PM
From another thread, broken out into its own:
Are there any rules about how many and which Styles must be powered when generating a character by hand?  Can I have 5 Styles with no powered Styles, or ALL powered styles, or anywhere in between?

Well, going from the rulebook, we know that anywhere from 1-3 powered styles is OK, and from 0-2 nonpowered styles, because you can create any combination of those using the click&locks.

J

Sindyr

Yes, but that is based on inference.  I ask two questions (to start):

Is having 5 powered syles ok?

Is having 5 non-powered styles ok?

I guess I am really asking if there are any rules prohibiting either of the above if one eschews the click and locks and instead goes freeform?
-Sindyr

TonyLB

There are no rules forbidding it.

Perhaps Sydney will weigh in on his personal experiences with playing a character who has four powered styles.
Just published: Capes
New Project:  Misery Bubblegum

Sydney Freedberg

So... much... debt....

But, y'know, Debt is a resource. Accept that you're going to have an overdrawn Drive a lot of the time, spend a Story Token to introduce an "ablative" second character that's all check-offs and no powers (like "The Sword Excalibur!" or "Ambush!" or "Monumentally Bad Decision!"), and then use your Power-heavy character to stake Debt & introduce Conflicts while relying on your secondary character to do most of the die-rolling. This is a "high investment, high return" technique but it's pretty workable.