News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Wiki-based mythic gaming

Started by sirogit, March 28, 2006, 09:31:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sirogit

Here's the idea:

Influenced by Heroquest, The Shadow of Yesterday, Exalted and Nine Worlds.

Mythic fantasy rpg, with a very strong focus on both creating legendary exploits and emulating the stories of past.

The game has a very strong connection to an official Wiki. Campaigns, characters and specific heroic feats are written on there. Every 4 months of real time, the game shifts to a different 'age' (The Golden Age, The Silver Age..) wherin a thousand years have passed, and the characters today are strongly influened by the legends of heros in a passed age.

The game requires the players to read up on the heroes of the passed age on the wiki as character creation and setting are influenced by them, and to chronicle down certain, system-designed events of play of their own group for players in the next age to be effected by.

Here's my questions

1) Any games with a similar concept, specificly the wiki-interaction thing?

2) Does the idea of required internet interaction sound like a turn-off?

Graham W

You could try Chris Hall's Dialectic, an entry for this year's Game Chef. It's not wiki-based but it lists Lexicon as an influence.

If you haven't read Lexicon, you definitely should.

And, no, the Internet thing isn't a turn off.

Graham

TonyLB

I sold a copy of Code of Unaris just a few days ago because of the required internet interaction.
Just published: Capes
New Project:  Misery Bubblegum

Thunder_God

Do you mean it helped the sale or you got rid of it because of that?

Also, so long you only sell the game online or make it known beforehand, I don't see anything wrong with it. The vast majority of us gamers seems to have internet, so I won't consider it a big issue.

However, what if you buy the game 9 months after it's been published? You've already moved two "Eras", eras you can't play in now, even if they're the ones you truly care about. I dunno about its applicability, but it's an interesting one.
Guy Shalev.

Cranium Rats Central, looking for playtesters for my various games.
CSI Games, my RPG Blog and Project. Last Updated on: January 29th 2010

TonyLB

Whoops.  I sold it on that merit.  It wasn't mine, it was in IPR stock.
Just published: Capes
New Project:  Misery Bubblegum

Thunder_God

To be frank, I also bought it because of the internet based mechanics. I hadn't had a TT group in what, 9 years? I wanted to see what can happen online. If online is one's starting point, why not push it as hard as possible?

But again, I'm weary of "Jumping in late" having downsides like that. Unless I'm misinterpreting.
Guy Shalev.

Cranium Rats Central, looking for playtesters for my various games.
CSI Games, my RPG Blog and Project. Last Updated on: January 29th 2010