News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Quick Variant Idea: Inspiration combining

Started by Sindyr, April 02, 2006, 12:02:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zamiel

Quote from: Sindyr on April 04, 2006, 01:30:31 PM
You can do that?  You can spend an action to roll up an *Inspiration*?

I thought the *only* interaction between Abilities and Inspirations is that by using an Ability you can increase the Insp by one - if and only if the Ability is the same level as the Insp is currently, or higher?

Quote from: Sindyr on April 04, 2006, 01:32:10 PM
Also, without "bumping" an Inspiration of 1 is nigh useless, correct?

Furthermore, if I resulve a conflict and my dice has a 6 and the other die has a 1, must I accept a 5 inspiration, or is it legal for me to give my opponent the 1 and keep the 6 for myself?

Am I the only person who actually reads the text of the RPG and committs it mostly to memory (Tony exempted, because if he's like me, he actively tries to elide the things he's written and published from memory)?

Page 19, in the box on Abilities. You can use an Ability to bump up an Inspiration by a point by activating a Trait on it. That Activation has the same limits as any other Trait limitation (ie. it must be equal to or greater than), but it appears its just a single-point guaranteed ... probably rather than a roll to keep folks from doing just what I suggested above, other folk jacking the die with a React/Inspiration of their own, though I personally feel that dynamic actually captures a certain kind of conflict complication very well, as in soap operas where there are duelling backstory reveals that something in one Character's story actually elipses another's.

Bumping an Inspiration of 1 gives you a 2. Whether that's useless or not is up to you. A 1 Inspiration is certainly not useless, as a scary number of my Reacts on other folks' Actions can attest.

You must match dice pairwise in the resolution phase, just like the text says. If you had two dice and the other side only one, then you could choose which to match, but you must match one.
Blogger, game analyst, autonomous agent architecture engineer.
Capes: This Present Darkness, Dragonstaff

Sindyr

Quote from: Zamiel on April 04, 2006, 01:44:10 PMA 1 Inspiration is certainly not useless, as a scary number of my Reacts on other folks' Actions can attest.

pg. 25
QuoteBy using their Inspiration the player may raise one die on that characters side to the value of the Inspiration.

also on pg. 25
QuoteThe player may do any of these things, in any order, as often as they can afford to. They may do so before their Action, or after, or both. They may not do any of these things during the Action itself, or during any Reactions.

You cannot use Insp to react on other people.  As far as I can see, the only thing you can use an Insp for is to raise the die on a side you are aligned with before or after your Action, but not during Actions or Reactions.

So, without bumping a 1 to a 2 using an Ability, is there *any* use for a 1 Inspriation?

Or am I missing something?
-Sindyr

Eric Sedlacek

Quote from: Sindyr on April 04, 2006, 02:13:48 PM
So, without bumping a 1 to a 2 using an Ability, is there *any* use for a 1 Inspriation?

Or am I missing something?

None whatsoever.  You are missing nothing.

Sindyr

Quote from: Zamiel on April 04, 2006, 01:44:10 PMA 1 Inspiration is certainly not useless, as a scary number of my Reacts on other folks' Actions can attest.

Given the preceding observations, I cannot understand Zamiel's comments above - can anyone clarify?

And the apparent fact that 1 Insps are literally useless with being bumped by an Ability make a house rule to give them some worth kind of attractive - *if* is doesn't threaten game balance.

I think of the the two ideas, being able to use any level Insp to bump up a die by one (to a max of 5) is my favorite, because its the simplest.

But the idea about combining two Insps to form one bigger one one higher that the higher of the two isn't bad, but it's not as simple.

Either way, get enough 1 Insps and that would be as good as getting a 5.  I think I like that.
-Sindyr

Sindyr

Zamiel - you around to clue me into what you were saying above about Reacts and Insps?
-Sindyr