News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[The Beast Within] Ideas

Started by Elishar, April 02, 2006, 11:19:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billvolk

Is it possible to move up the slider instead of down, meaning that demons can become Marked humans and Marked can become Hunters?

Are player characters expected to be all of the same faction? What exactly happens if a PC changes faction? Which factions are bound to attack members of which other factions on general principle? There's generally a social contract in cooperative RPGs that player characters who begin in the same team or party don't turn on each other. Players will likely be reluctant to start killing each other when a player changes faction, unless the players are certain that that's what the game is about.

Thunder_God

Yes, it was talked about that Demons can redeem themselves.
Marked going up the slider should become humans, not Hunters.
Guy Shalev.

Cranium Rats Central, looking for playtesters for my various games.
CSI Games, my RPG Blog and Project. Last Updated on: January 29th 2010

Elishar

Quote from: billvolk on April 09, 2006, 09:42:20 PM
Is it possible to move up the slider instead of down, meaning that demons can become Marked humans and Marked can become Hunters?

Are player characters expected to be all of the same faction? What exactly happens if a PC changes faction? Which factions are bound to attack members of which other factions on general principle? There's generally a social contract in cooperative RPGs that player characters who begin in the same team or party don't turn on each other. Players will likely be reluctant to start killing each other when a player changes faction, unless the players are certain that that's what the game is about.

Yes, it is possible to move up the slider but it is more difficult.  Marked can become Hunters if they work hard enough (they would most likely become Hunters as opposed to normal humans because they have seen the ravages the demons bring first hand) and Demons could theoretically become Marked but I have yet to work out how that would happen (as a Demon would have no reason to want to improve.)

All the players don't have to play the same faction but it is encouraged to limit down time between members of different factions (as there is only one GM.)  A PC changing faction is a huge story point and really adds a new twist to the game.  What happens if one of the characters in a Hunter group becomes a Marked?  Do his buddies kill him as they would any other Marked?  Does the newly Marked character tell his friends about his new powers, knowing that they will be bound to kill him, or does he keep them a secret?

Hunters kill Marked and Demons on sight.  Demons kill Hunters on sight.  Marked do not necessarily attack either other faction on sight but they often retaliate against attacks by Hunters.  Some Marked may also attack Demons on sight as well.  Demons are less likely to attack Marked if their demonic soul belongs to the same clan as them.  If a Demon was able to become a Marked again the Demons would kill him on sight as they would see him as a traitor to their kind.

Yeah, I realize that I'm going to need to spell it out very clear the implications of what happens when a character changes factions so that the other players will play true to their faction.  In the Hunter case above, if the other Hunters don't kill their turned friend they would make themselves more susceptible to being infected as well because they are showing pity and remorse to the demons.