News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Postcards from London

Started by Graham W, April 23, 2006, 06:57:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Graham W

Often, when I read a book, I wish that there was a roleplaying game based on the author's work. For example, when I read Graham Greene books, I want a Graham Greene roleplaying game; when I read Dickens, I want a Dickens game.

So here's something I've wanted to do for a while: a very, very small competition to encourage people to base games on the works of English authors.

If, from now onwards, you either publish a game or enter a game in another competition that's based on the works of an English author, drop me a Private Message. In that message, tell me how I can get hold of the game, and include a postal address.

I'll then send you a postcard from a location connected with that author. So if it's a Jane Austen dating game, I'll send you a postcard from Bath. If it's an RPG based on A Midsummer Night's Dream, I'll send you a postcard from Stratford-upon-Avon.

If I ever get a game that's so wonderful that I'm in awe, then I'll send you something distinctively English of moderate value - perhaps a copy of the First Folio or a radio-controlled Dalek. We can have a discussion of what exactly you'd want. And then I won't send any more postcards.

If you'd like some ideas of authors that I think would inspire good games: Austen, Dickens, Greene and Lawrence would all be fantastic. Perhaps even William Blake, if you could think of a way to do it. With some authors, such as Shakespeare and Orwell, I can imagine good games based on particular works. Non-fictional authors might be interesting: perhaps Thomas Hobbes. I'm not generally a fan of fantasy and Sci-Fi authors, but John Wyndham or H G Wells would definitely be worth a shot.

I do want to be strict that they're English authors: that is, born in England. Orwell was born in India under British rule, which is as far as I'm happy to stretch the definition. Luckily, Tolkien was born in South Africa. Phew.

By the way, today is April 23rd, St George's Day. St George is the patron saint of England, hence the peculiarly English theme of this post.

If there's any questions, do ask them here.

Graham

David "Czar Fnord" Artman

How's GOG doing? ;-)
Just curious about some possible qualifiers, though sci fi:

Iain Banks? I have thought about doing something based on his Culture Universe using Hero System.

Neil Gaiman? Pick any given book or graphic novel series; it could be made using White Wolf's system (or any universal, like Hero).

Thanks;
David
If you liked this post, you'll love... GLASS: Generic Live Action Simulation System - System Test Document v1.1(beta)

Per Fischer

Jolly good idea indeed, Graham! I think Greene would rock completely, things like The Secret Agent, Brighton Rock and that Mexico thingy - Honour and Glory? And many more.

Quote from: David "Czar Fnord" Artman on May 04, 2006, 03:32:14 PM
Iain Banks? I have thought about doing something based on his Culture Universe using Hero System.

Well, apart from the fact that Banks is Scottish and lives pretty close to me, yes, the Culture is mighty cool. But you DO mean English, Graham, yes? Not British, right? Then you could do the same with Scottish authors. Scott, Burns, Rankin :)

Per
Per
--------
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Przemyslaw F. Szkodzinski

QuotePerhaps even William Blake, if you could think of a way to do it.

Actually, I've been toying with an idea for a game that'd be a spoof version of Milton's Paradise Lost and Blake's The Marriage of Heaven and Hell (which is tounge-in-cheek by its own means).

QuoteWell, apart from the fact that Banks is Scottish and lives pretty close to me, yes, the Culture is mighty cool. But you DO mean English, Graham, yes? Not British, right? Then you could do the same with Scottish authors. Scott, Burns, Rankin :)

Or Irish. I can imagine Waiting for Godot the RPG, a game in which nothing happens, repeatedly.
Is it not by means of the imagination one knows joy? Is it not of the imagination that the sharpest pleasures arise?
- Marquis de Sade

Currently in development: King Rat; Your 120 Days of Sodom

Graham W

It's a St George's Day competition, so it's going to be strictly English authors. So no to Iain Banks (definitely Scottish) and definitely yes to Neil Gaiman.

But I'd love someone to do a similar competition for Scottish and Irish authors.

Graham

David "Czar Fnord" Artman

Quote from: Graham Walmsley on May 05, 2006, 02:03:25 AMBut I'd love someone to do a similar competition for Scottish and Irish authors.

Pretty much would HAVE to be a drinking RPG, no? ;-)

(The Irish-German) David
If you liked this post, you'll love... GLASS: Generic Live Action Simulation System - System Test Document v1.1(beta)