News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

New Powerset

Started by Ben Lehman, April 04, 2006, 01:08:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben Lehman

I was thinking about Gangbuster, and the awesome "unleash artifacts of power" on the magician set, and suddenly I was writing a new powerset.  The goal is to be the mystical equivalent of Gangbuster -- always getting beat up, and winning for it.

Investigator

Powers
Unleash Artifacts of Power
Gaze upon Ineffable Horror
Learn Unknowable Secret
Uncover Ancient Tome
Sudden, Terrible Death

Styles
Lose Sanity
Dire Warnings
It Sleeps Beneath the Ocean

Vaxalon

When I first read these, i said, "No..."

and then "Well..."

and then "hold on..."

and then I chuckled maniacally.
"In our game the other night, Joshua's character came in as an improvised thing, but he was crap so he only contributed a d4!"
                                     --Vincent Baker

TonyLB

Personally, I'd give the power descriptions a bit more specific emotional kick ... like instead of "Gaze upon ineffable horror" you could have "My eyes!  Oh God, my eyes!  What have I seen?"

But yeah, a Gangbuster who gets kicked in the soul and sanity rather than the teeth and testes?  Definitely worth playing.
Just published: Capes
New Project:  Misery Bubblegum

Sindyr

Quote from: TonyLB on April 04, 2006, 05:42:47 PM
Personally, I'd give the power descriptions a bit more specific emotional kick ... like instead of "Gaze upon ineffable horror" you could have "My eyes!  Oh God, my eyes!  What have I seen?"

I like that Tony - you have the soul of an author.
-Sindyr

Ben Lehman

Quote from: TonyLB on April 04, 2006, 05:42:47 PM

It's very different sort of thing -- I was figuring that his reaction to the ineffable horror could be flexible.  Whereas yours is more like "I have a terrible reaction... to anything."

Mine exists in a world where there are actual horrors.  Yours... it's up in the air.  You've got the comedy value going for you, so you win ;-)

yrs--
--Ben

P.S.  Man, wouldn't "My Eyes!" be useful on a "superheroes go on a blind date" set-up?

Hans

This whole thread reminds me very much of a scene from the film "Lord of Illusions" a Clive Barker thing.

Scott Bakula plays this private detective Harry D'Amour, who gets "unusual" cases.  At the very beginning of the film we see him just returning from a case.  There is a newspaper in the scene that has the headline "PRIVATE EYE IN BROOKLYN EXORCISM TRAUMA".  Anyway, another character named Loomis comes in and asks him some stuff, but then, just as Loomis is leaving, he turns to the investigator and asks:

Loomis: What's the story? Was the kid really possessed?
Harry D'Amour: Probably.
Loomis: You gonna tell me by what?
* brief cut scene of a boy's face, hideous in its evil deformation, saying* 
Exorcised Boy: Taste the darkness, D'Amour, it's been waiting for you.
* Cut back to office*

Harry D'Amour: Oh, you know, the usual.

Overall, not a great movie, but it has some definite high points.
* Want to know what your fair share of paying to feed the hungry is? http://www3.sympatico.ca/hans_messersmith/World_Hunger_Fair_Share_Number.htm
* Want to know what games I like? http://www.boardgamegeek.com/user/skalchemist