News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

This Forum is Why I Started Story Games

Started by Andy Kitkowski, April 04, 2006, 06:56:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Kitkowski

Not so much the Tangency-ish stuff that goes on here, which indeed is awesome (I may do something of the effect when Story Games turns One, but only if I can annihilate it after the week is done), but the effect of "Getting to really know the people behind the posts."

When you address someone regularly in a kind of formal environment of discourse, discussion and (of course, a little) argument, it's hard to get an idea of what they're all about. Especially if you don't post "fun stuff" or "let people in a little", etc.  Lack of empathy, IMO, is the termite that eats away at communities.  Anyway, I want you to all gorge on this bountiful yearly Forge Feast (as I will be), and revel in it, for with this forum you really get to meet your neighbors. Talk it up. Have fun.

And if you like what you see, feel free to stop by www.story-games.com as well. It's like the Forge minus the workshop, and RPGNet minus the... err... I'm still a fan and user of RPGNet so I'll stop there.

-Andy
The Story Games Community - It's like RPGNet for small press games and new play styles.

Eric J-D

Alright Andy, I guess I'll be the first to take a bite at this particular apple.  I'm not entirely certain, however, what the parameters are.  Are we just expected to share some things about ourselves that people might not otherwise know about us from reading our posts?

Okay, so here's something that happened to me recently that made me very happy and that might give you some sense of who I am.  Recently--to be precise, just yesterday--I got a letter from the Folger Institute in Washington, D.C. informing me that I had been admitted to their Mellon Summer Institute program in English paleography.  In case you're wondering what in the hell that is, it is a program for the study of handwriting styles as well as the letter-writing conventions of people in the early modern period (what we all used to call--and some of us still do call--the renaissance).  I was particularly pleased to get in because aside from the competition, believe it or not, being fairly stiff and this kind of wonkish technical skill being really useful for my work, I tickled me to think that I will probably be one of the few people in my field trained in both the western marxist and post-structuralist theoretical traditions AND this really old-school, wonky technical stuff.  Whether this will ultimately mark me as a desirable hire or simply a platypus-like oddball is a standing question.

So what else can I say?  I love films of almost all sorts, though I fear that with advancing age sentimentality is starting to set in.  I cried pathetically at the end of "Brokeback Mountain" imaging the pain of what it must have been like for someone to deny himself for decades a love like that. The film that sends me reaching for the Kleenex *every single time* is De Sica's "Umberto D."  I defy anyone to resist crying at the end of this movie.  You have to be made of stone not to break down.

If it is not already pretty obvious, I tend to post infrequently but at length when I do (apologies to everyone who has had to endure this).  And I never cease to be amazed at the incredible collective intelligence and generosity I find here.  I really mean that.  This is a truly special place.

Happy Birthday Forge!

Eric

Levi Kornelsen

I came for the cake.

What?  I heard that there was cake.  Mmmm.  Cake.

Ron Edwards

I think East Germans and other Third Way type folks in the eastern bloc got really badly screwed.

I think people's behavior, values, ethics, and general "people-ness" is easy to understand.

I think relying on Saudi oil reserves is moronic.

I think neither the Devil and True Love exist, but I love stories with them in there.

I think the definition of the Yuppie Nuremburg Defense in the movie "Thank You for Smoking" will haunt me forever

I think geeks become wonderful sexy people if they can avoid the Geek Fallacies as they grow up

I think my family ought to be dramatized in a TV mini-series

I think beef tongue is the most excellent awesomest meat anywhere, ever

I think The Shield is a startling artistic achievement that ought to spawn a new brand of television, if there's any justice

I think that everyone is very smart, and that everyone learns tremendously effectively if they can see why they should

I think cell phones are socially abusive far more than they are logistically useful

I think a bunch of other stuff too, but that's about as much tone-poem free-associating I can stand to do at one time.

Oh yeah, except that I also think ... no, on second thought, that's none of your business even though it's true.

Best, Ron

Eric J-D

I think cell phones are socially abusive far more than they are logistically useful

Can I get an "Amen" somebody?

So here's my personal favorite experience of said behavior.  My wife, daughter and I are visiting some dear friends in Los Angeles and my friend Laura suggests that we might enjoy going to the Huntington Library for the day to walk around the gardens and enjoy the exhibitions.  So we head off in the car and spend several blissful hours strolling first through the galleries (which have some of the finest 18th century portraits I've seen outside of the National Portrait Gallery) and then through the gardens.

All of the gardens are incredible in their own way.  Eventually we wind up at the Zen meditation garden which is practically devoid of life and we sit on a bench and take it all in.  It's at this point that some doofus comes in, casts a glance around the place and instantly whips out the cell phone to start yakking away to his girlfriend about some argument they had.  His temper starts to rise and not too much later he's screaming that she's a "skank-ho" who he hopes, and I'm quoting here, "will do the world and [him] a favor and fucking die."

All in all a lovely afternoon.

Eric

Andy Kitkowski

Quote from: Eric J-D on April 04, 2006, 07:55:01 PM
Alright Andy, I guess I'll be the first to take a bite at this particular apple.  I'm not entirely certain, however, what the parameters are.  Are we just expected to share some things about ourselves that people might not otherwise know about us from reading our posts?

Ah. Well, I meant "dance it up throughout the weeek. Create threads, post in threads, and live this forum to its fullest!".  But dropping stuff here in this thread is cool, too.
The Story Games Community - It's like RPGNet for small press games and new play styles.

Jeph

Bah to all you fogies. Cell phones are perfectly legit.

Too legit to quit, even.
Jeffrey S. Schecter: Pagoda / Other

Kester Pelagius

I've not posted here abouts in, well, possibly since the last Millenium.

But who could stay away from this great party?
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis." -Dante Alighieri

ffilz

I'll add an amen to the cell phone bit. Though I admit that (almost) every time I've travelled recently, I've wished I had one (my trip to Hungary and Romania last summer was an exception - but then I was travelling with a group - it was actually nice to really be out of touch with the rest of my world for 10 days). What I'd love to see (but I suspect we'll never see because cell phones are too common now) is places in the airport where you could rent a cell phone for like 20 bucks (plus perhaps 10 bucks a week past 7 days or something), with some modest number of minutes included.

Frank
Frank Filz

talysman

Quote from: Kester Pelagius on April 05, 2006, 01:49:26 AM
I've not posted here abouts in, well, possibly since the last Millenium.

Welcome back to the Forge, Kester! Here's your accordion!
John Laviolette
(aka Talysman the Ur-Beatle)
rpg projects: http://www.globalsurrealism.com/rpg

Joel P. Shempert

Hey, do I get an accordion? Huh? Huh? Do I?
Story by the Throat! Relentlessly pursuing story in roleplaying, art and life.

talysman

Sorry, all we have left is this concertina.
John Laviolette
(aka Talysman the Ur-Beatle)
rpg projects: http://www.globalsurrealism.com/rpg

Joel P. Shempert

Dammit! I'm always the last guy in line for these things!
Story by the Throat! Relentlessly pursuing story in roleplaying, art and life.

Kester Pelagius

Quote from: talysman on April 05, 2006, 02:49:55 AMWelcome back to the Forge, Kester! Here's your accordion!

*pumps out a couple test notes*

It's time to polka!
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis." -Dante Alighieri