News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Encomiums to Howard and "Sword & Sorcery"

Started by Eric J-D, April 05, 2006, 01:12:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric J-D

In light of both the Forge's birthday and the many discussion I have been in recently at rpg.net regarding Robert E Howard and "sword & sorcery" generally, I thought it might be fun to have a thread in which we praise the things we love about the genre and Howard particularly. 

So please feel free to post everything from your favorite opening paragraph of a Howard story, favorite line in any Howard story period, favorite characters (in Howard or other s&s stories), favorite cover artist, etc.  Really it is pretty much wide open!

I'll start by saying that I simply love the opening of "Queen of the Black Coast."  I think there is a rhythm that runs throughout that paragraph that few S&S writers have ever equaled. (And no this is not simply occasioned by the fact that it was the Howard story that I read most recently.)

Cheers,

Eric

Kester Pelagius

Only because it's the Forge's birthday. . .

I rather enjoyed that thing Ron did ages ago that reminded me of the Savage Sword of Conan.  Ah, the Savage Sword of Conan.  Got me in much trouble in Jr. High School that did!

Happy Birthday!
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis." -Dante Alighieri