News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

What Digital/Computer/Console Games do you play?

Started by Andy Kitkowski, April 06, 2006, 10:06:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mneme

I'm back to playing Nethack again too...on my handheld.  R00x0R. (Elbereth! Elbereth!).

I've come close to finishing Nethack (mneme-W starved to death on the Plane of water), but it's actually both harder and easier since 3.1 (fewer stupid character tricks, but it's also easier to play without every click risking instant death) -- and they really do keep adding stuff.  The current version (unlike 3.1) doesn't have wizards start with an athame, has a bunch more side quests (Sokoban!), doesn't make you get really hungry whenever you cast a spell (and has spells last a lot longer than in 3.1), has spell failure for wearing metal armor, and has a full skill system for weapons (oh, and it has riding).

The farthest I've got ever on my handheld was 11th level, past the Oracle and Sokoban and the Gnomish Mines (I found a wish and an amulet of Life Saving...but I never found a like-aligned altar or I would have done much better).
-- Joshua Kronengold

Bryan Hansel

I don't know if any of you have tried the Battle of Wesnoth (http://www.wesnoth.org).  It's free and I absolutely am addicted to it.  Link to the description: http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/Description

Turn based strategy and way fun.

Also Uplink (http://www.uplink.co.uk/), which is fun, although I would have never thought that I'd enjoy it.

jrs

Yeah, it's marketing, but it makes me giggle every time I look at it:  Samurai Kittens

Julie

Valamir

I had the 8th highest score on Samarai Kittens for a brief time...I saw all but one of the Furrtalities...

Larry L.

If Nethack does not have enough kewl new stuff, there is always SLASH'EM.

You know it's bad when you look in the sky, see a full moon, and think, "Oh! I better play Nethack tonight. Luck bonus!"

The guys on the alt.org server ascend all the time. I am not nearly as good. My top 3:

1      48225  Larry-Bar-Hum-Mal-Neu died in The Dungeons of Doom on
                level 10 [max 11].  Killed by a lynx.                   - [119]
2      33440  Larry-Bar-Hum-Mal-Neu died in The Dungeons of Doom on
                level 12.  Killed by an invisible stalker.              - [104]
3      28841  Larry-Mon-Hum-Mal-Neu died in The Gnomish Mines on
                level 6 [max 9].  Killed by an owlbear.                 -  [63]

neko ewen

I tend to play one game at a time, a whole lot. The past couple days I started playing Project Gotham Racing 2 again. Before that it was Halo and Halo 2, Dead or Alive 2 Ultimate. At some point I want to get back into playing Dragon Quest VIII and Makai Kingdom. I need to get around to playing more Para Para Paradise (like Dance Dance Revolution, but you use your hands to dance to eurobeat music). And Katamari Damacy is just plain good for the soul. ;)

Doug Ruff

Quote from: Mike Holmes on April 06, 2006, 03:12:08 PM
People have beaten Nethack? Dude, I think that's an urban myth.

Beat it twice, without restarting from duplicate saves (for those who haven't played, the game wipes your savefile if you die.) But then again, I musthave got killed about 1,000 times before my first win.

It's very easy to die early on in the game, but it gets easier once you manage to acquire a few key items. The trick is knowing what to get, and how to get it. Also, Nethack requires both Step On Up (there are tons of deliberate loopholes in the game that scream to be exploited) and risk-averse behaviour (most deaths at high level are due to biting off more than you can chew, or really bad luck).

Of course, all of this analysis is just an excuse to brag about the fact that I've beaten Nethack and you haven't.

Right now, I've been playing quite a bit of Guild Wars, and not much else. I'm really liking the design of the game: it allows multiple play styles with the same character and they cross-pollinate well.

- Doug
'Come and see the violence inherent in the System.'

LordSmerf

I, too, am a fan of crushing my enemies.  At the moment that means a significant amount of play of Galactic Civilizations II and Rome: Total War.  GalCiv is an incredibly interesting game.  The tech tree is incredibly sparse and interestingly linear for a 4x game, but the core mechanics are pretty much brilliant.

Outside of crushing-my-enemies games, I tend to three primary types: thinky games (this means I play stuff like Dynasty Tactics; interestingly a certain subset of CRPGs fall into this category, see the Grandia series), fighting games (how has no one mentioned the joy that is Soul Caliber or Guilty Gear?), and pretty games (Ico, Shadow of the Colossus).

I also just recently got a free GameCube, so Zelda and Metroid Prime have gotten some recent action.

Thomas
Current projects: Caper, Trust and Betrayal, The Suburban Crucible

Larry L.

Thomas,

We played many, many, many a game of SC and SC2. But that was long ago, and now there are none who remember it.

Phantom Dust is a fucking gem, which is sort of like a CCG but isn't.