News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Blood Simple

Started by Judd, April 05, 2006, 08:54:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judd

Ben, Aaron and Tony are going to play in a play by post Blood Simple Sorcerer game.

No idea if this medium works for me or not.  We'll see.

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=256742

There are times I want to quote bits from Ron's Art Deco Melodrama thread verbatim.

Per Fischer

Thanks for posting this,Judd, I will forllow the thread avidly. Why did you choose to post on rpg.net instead af here (or Storygames for that matter)?

Per
Per
--------
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Judd

Quote from: pfischer on April 10, 2006, 11:49:47 AM
Thanks for posting this,Judd, I will forllow the thread avidly. Why did you choose to post on rpg.net instead af here (or Storygames for that matter)?

Per

I didn't want to mis-use either of these forums.  It didn't feel right.  RPG.net has a venue custom made for it and honestly, none of us are sure if this medium will be of interest to us.

Miedvied

Quote from: Ron Edwards on April 06, 2006, 04:30:10 PM
In Judd's reply, you will find a lesson to be learned about Sorcerer and about role-playing in general, Jason.

Your question was nonsensical. Think it over, figure out why, and when you think you've got it (I recommend 24 hours) then post it here.

Best, Ron

I've been thinking about this myself, and I was wondering if perhaps I have the answer (since I am also in the "Student" position of the "student-teacher" relationship here):

It is non-sensical because in Sorceror in general and in Blood Simple in particular, demons/humans do not exist apart from one another; it is a game of relationships, interactions, and choices. Therefore, asking regarding the traits of an individual being without context of scenario and other beings, is essentially a question that has no relevance to Sorceror.

Am I close?
James Steinberg
http://www.miedvied.com

Thunder_God

The way I see it, that's half of it, or most of it.
Guy Shalev.

Cranium Rats Central, looking for playtesters for my various games.
CSI Games, my RPG Blog and Project. Last Updated on: January 29th 2010

Ron Edwards

Hiya,

Actually, not really. When playing the game, thematic and behavioral distinctions between demon and human are thorough. Power is one thing; Humanity is another.

I appreciate your attention to the issue, though. So here's some help. Check out my Narrativism: Story Now essay, specifically the section near the beginning called "Story." My example regarding Lord Gyrax, in particular. See how that might apply to the question about Tony Soprano.

Then, when you've arrived at a conclusion about that, post it here. I have one more point to make for folks who can get that far.

Best, Ron

Miedvied

I'm seeing this a few different ways, but none of them are hitting me hard enough, or clicking loudly enough, to make me say "Aha! That's what it is!". One, however, stands at the forefront of my mind as the one that seems most likely to mesh with sorceror (as sorceror, to me, has always seemd to be a game more concerned with enabling the players to effectively tell a story, rather one that creates character, or one that creates stories).

The question of whether Tony Soprano is a sorceror or a demon is non-sensical because there is no distinction between the two. Not that they are not distinguished as ideas - no one is going to confuse the demon for the sorceror, nor do I mean to inject some sort of in-character reasoning of the demon being some sort of extension of the character. Specifically, it seems to me that there is no distinction between the two because they are a single tool created by the player to be his primary method of conveying and shaping the story he wishes to tell. As such, the demon is no more distinguishable from the sorceror than a sword is from a story about a famous swordsman; the story is conveyed through, enabled by, and may arise from their relationship and co-existence. A story about a famous swordsman may be about the famous man, the famous sword style, or the famous battles, but ultimately these are all lenses through which one can come to view /the story/, which is what sorceror is concerned with. If Tony Soprano is a demon to a sorceror, or a sorceror to a demon, their final story is still going to be what we're concerned with - not which of them we happen to use to pen the story.

I do hope I'm getting the idea. I'd be rather unhappy to be twisting your ear with terrible mis-interpretations.

James Steinberg
http://www.miedvied.com