News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Ramshead site makes browser implode

Started by matthijs, April 11, 2006, 04:09:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

matthijs

I've had this problem in the past, and am having it again now: The Ramshead site causes IE to hang, with just a blank browser window. Wuzzup?

Valamir

Quote from: matthijs on April 11, 2006, 04:09:41 AM
I've had this problem in the past, and am having it again now: The Ramshead site causes IE to hang, with just a blank browser window. Wuzzup?

I have no idea.  It works just fine on all the computers I view it from. 

Is it the index page, or the Uni Revised update page that's causing you to hang?

If the latter, it might be a band width issue.  The picture I used was a pretty low res, screen version of the cover, but it might be choking your machine if you have low bandwidth.

matthijs

It's this link:

http://www.ramshead.indie-rpgs.com/

Now it works, but it looked as if it was about to hang again. I don't think it's a bandwidth problem; I'm on an ADSL line, and usually don't have this problem with other sites. You might want to check with other foreign users, perhaps, to see if others have the same problem?

Keith Sears

I might as well jump in since I'm the one that designed the site. The ramshead site was created with MS Frontpage 2000, which is 100% IE friendly. So it can't be a problem with the html. However, the pages to make use of javascript for the main menu, and Ralph has added some buttons on the site that make use of Java.

If the programs in your computer that handle javascript and java (most likely java) are corrupt or have simply glitched, you will have problems viewing the site.
Keith W. Sears
Heraldic Game Design
Publisher of "The Outsider Chronicles" and soon, "Silver Screen: The Story Game of Hollywood Cinema"
Proud Webmaster for the Game Publishers Association
http://www.heraldicgame.com

matthijs

I'm able to view sites using both javascript and java; java applets will take some time to start up, but that's another matter - what I get here is a blank browser window, not the grey little embedded area you get when an applet's loading.

I'm not convinced it's a problem with my machine/browser, since I don't have this problem on other sites that I know of (and I surf way too much). But if I'm the only one experiencing the problem, I guess it's local.

GreatWolf

The site doesn't crash my computer, but it does almost hang up trying to load it.  It will eventually load, though.
Seth Ben-Ezra
Dark Omen Games
producing Legends of Alyria, Dirty Secrets, A Flower for Mara
coming soon: Showdown

Valamir

Any ideas why?  There's nothing on that first page but a single low res image, some text, and some buttons. 

I'm happy to tweak it (and it will be getting an overhaul when revised is released anyway) but I wouldn't know where to begin.

Bill Burdick

I'm guessing it's the applets that are the problem.  Ralph, you might try making an alternate page with Javascript instead of Java for matthijs to try out for a while.  If that page works all the time, you might want to consider chucking the Java.  I hate to recommend that, since I'm a Java developer :).

Bill

joshua neff

Matthijs might also want to consider using a browser other than IE. Because IE (IMNSHO) sucks. The Ramshead website doesn't cause my Firefox to hang. (However, and I apologize that I can't think of a way to say this without sounding bitchy, I think the website looks really, really bad and...well, unprofessional.)
--josh

"You can't ignore a rain of toads!"--Mike Holmes