News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

What do you look for?

Started by BubbaBrown, April 12, 2006, 09:12:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BubbaBrown

A general question, but has a lot of relevance:  When you are exploring another game or game system, what are the bits of information you look for and in what priority?  I know what I browse the game manual for when I seriously look at a game, but I wanted to know if there was a top ten list of sorts between the community at large.  I'm currently trying to finalize a system and game I've been working on to a official first draft stage and need information on how to organize all the information about it.  I figured if I could knock out the top ten list of things that people look for, the accessory information could be added later.

-Bubba Brown

Ron Edwards

Hello, and welcome!

Here's my suggestion - not to run this thread as a poll. Instead, you mentioned what order in which you read a game-text, so tell us that order!

You'll get feedback on that, and maybe some good references for contrasts. The real benefit, though, is that your priorities and perspectives become the focus, and everyone else's job is to help out. The alternative is just a spray of "gee I think" which historically has proven to be very obstructive to a game's design.

Best, Ron

BubbaBrown

It wasn't my intention to run the thread as a poll, but it'd probably lean that way quickly.  So I'll start with my list, and we'll modify from there.

1.  Game Theme - Always good to get the general concept of what the game is about, because that'll influence everything after that point.  Because certain rules seem just plain weird, unless you know what the game is about:  Representing your 6 lives as a 6-pack of your favorite beverage.  And being sure you don't inform the players of that until a few are gone. (Paranoia)
2.  Character Creation - A little bit jumping in there. But... I like to know what my character can be and more importantly how I'll compare to others.  Because if there's a significant chance for disparity between player characters starting out, I start looking elsewhere.  (Random dice rolls for stats-  UNGH...)
3.  Game Flow -  Simply, how does the game flow in general.  I'd like to get the general idea of what to expect during a session.  And also be warned of anything that might snag at gaming sessions I go to.
4.  Conflict Resolution - General skills.  This is separate from combat.  I want to know how regular conflicts are resolved.  Skill checks, saving throws, that kind of thing.  If I've got a worse chance stumbling over my own feet than disarming a nuclear warhead...  I start to wonder...  unless my characater is just that much of a clutzy savant, then it's great!
5.  Combat -  You're going to run into it.  So I want to see how well of a fit the combat system is in comparison to everything else.  I'm open for a variety of combat resolution systems, but I just want to make sure it doesn't seem "tacked on" or "an after thought"

Those after the top five of mine, a few other things fall this way.
6.  Game Feedback -  Does the game have mechanics to handle the player's interaction in general.
7.  Examples!  -  Always like examples.  You get more a feel of the game then from just dry rules.
8.  World Content
9.  Items and other player obtainables-  Cool gadgets are always fun. 
10.  Suggested Game Master manipulation - While the game master is always the local deity at any game session, does the system have means to allow subtle balancing?  This isn't a big deal, but it's always nice to allow the game to change to the players to be at a correct level of challenge without them realizing it's a majority GM's work.

-Bubba Brown