News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Roleplaying, Free Software & Content and Libre Culture

Started by Offray, April 12, 2006, 12:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry L.

Quote from: axonrg on May 02, 2006, 09:11:04 AM
Not at all: computer algorithmns are not and have never been, AFAIK, copyrightable. That they may become patentable is a relatively new development and I think the free software movement predates it.

This is just plain incorrect. See Wikipedia article and League For Programming Freedom.

Also, do not confuse copyright and patent. They are not interchangable.

I don't know that any of the above has any bearing on the patents of games. Assuming the patent office will operate along the lines of common sense or reason in an area they don't well understand (i.e. roleplaying games) is a grievous mistake.

Julian

In what way is he "just plain incorrect"? He wasn't confusing the two, and the free software movement basically does predate the modern software patent.

The patentability of game mechanics is probably not well-defined yet, but the way the system seems to be going, one would probably have a decent shot at getting one if one tried.

Larry L.

Hmm. Let me try that again, with less ass.

The US has had software patents for a while now. (Precedent set in 1981.)

Note that a number of jurisdictions, such as the EU and India, have recently voted down proposed software patent legislation. So depending where you're coming from, software patents may seem like a new thing.

Getting back to the topic at hand, though...

If you require a legal opinion, consult an attorney. Do not get your legal advice from some random guy on the internet.

axonrg

Quote from: Larry Lade on May 03, 2006, 11:31:33 AMThe US has had software patents for a while now. (Precedent set in 1981.)
Not strictly true: the patent awarded in 1981 was still for a technical process, albeit one partially implemented using software. According to Wikipedia at least, software patents weren't properly established until the 1990s, after the FSF was founded, which in my view (old man that I am) doesn't seem all the long ago.

Quote from: Larry Lade on May 03, 2006, 11:31:33 AMIf you require a legal opinion, consult an attorney. Do not get your legal advice from some random guy on the internet.
I didn't think anyone here has given any real legal advice: so far its just been discussion about whether games are copyrightable or not.

Attorneys are expensive and few small press, amateur or fan-based publishers can afford a good one. It's true, you shouldn't trust legal information you get from online forums and should always judge information for yourself, but it's also pretty easy to make big scary noises about expensive lawyers and frighten people away. In my experience, the most authorative source on copyrights and games I can find is here. Take it as you will.
Ricardo Gladwell
President, Free Roleplaying Community

Larry L.

Quote from: axonrg on May 15, 2006, 04:26:18 AM
In my experience, the most authorative source on copyrights and games I can find is here. Take it as you will.

Nice link!

axonrg

Quote from: Larry Lade on May 15, 2006, 07:43:47 AMNice link!
Ta, it's certainly interesting. One of my colleagues at the Free RPG Community is working on an essay on games and copyright which should be more informative. In fact, he's a member of this forum.
Ricardo Gladwell
President, Free Roleplaying Community