News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

A Completely Inappropriate Post

Started by Christopher Kubasik, April 13, 2006, 09:00:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christopher Kubasik

Hello Ron -- and everyone who frequents these boards,

I missed the Birthday Party -- which is terrible enough in itself -- but I actually had something to say, which makes it even worse.

I've been gone for some time now because I've been busy. I've been busy working with differernt media I love so much -- painting, dramatic narrative and more.

I was recently hired as the head writer on a new internet show. I now also the head writer for an Emmy Nominated show -- since my show just got the nod on Monday for the Emmy's new non-traditional media category.

In a week and a half I'll be flying out to New York with the production staff to see if I'm coming home with a statuette. The award itself is -- nice... but the payoff in terms of professional progress is... Well, really cool. It's unexpected and can only open a half-zillion new doors in the year to come.

Here's the deal:

I have no idea how much gaming will play a part in my future. Certainly my attempts to get back into it are constantly thwarted by my desire to get everything else done I'm trying to get done.

But I do know this:

What I know about writing and storytelling was informed GREATLY by the Forge. I got the job because I could think quick on my feet about narrative. I've stayed at the job because I can trust myself a great deal of craft. I'll be go even further in my fields of choice because I spent a great deal of time here hashing out questions like, "What is story?" or "How do you make a story work?"

I know that some folks don't think those questions matter for RPGs. I disagree. To me, it's all about making. And every medium I've worked in has taught me a great deal about other art forms.

And you guys have taught me a lot about RPGs. I mean... More than I can say.

Moreover, this site has been a lesson in sticking it out, obligation to craft, the payoff that comes when one pursues passions and comittment to goals. The amount of excellent work that the people have produced -- clearly not just because of the Forge, but to a degree because of it -- has been an inspiration to me.

I'm not going to name names to thank specifically -- because on a site like this how could I possible list everyone. But if I've shared a thread with you, Than, You. Or, if posted clearly and passionately about RPGs in all their forms and agendas.... trust I've probably read it.

Thanks, however, to Ron and Clinton for setting up such a wonderful site, with such a clear agenda. It's allowed terrific work to be encouraged, and great study of an amazing form of creation to be explored.

Christopher

"Can't we for once just do what we're supposed to do -- and then stop?
Lemonhead, The Shield

Ron Edwards

Appropriate enough for me.

Thanks man.

M. J. Young

Wow.

Congratulations, and dare I say thanks for thinking of us.

--M. J. Young

Michael S. Miller

Christopher,

Congratulations on the nomination. Just in case you weren't aware, your queries and struggles have helped others, too. I've often run across your posts doing searches for things that I was struggling with and think "Well, if Chris Kubasik has been here, I must be on the right track."

Thanks.
Serial Homicide Unit Hunt down a killer!
Incarnadine Press--The Redder, the Better!

Judd

That was the most appropriate inappropriate post ever.

Congrats on the Emmy, Christopher.

Christopher Kubasik

Well, it's a nomination right now. We storm the stage and take the Emmy's on the 22.

And guys, I mean it. You're welcome.

Christopher
"Can't we for once just do what we're supposed to do -- and then stop?
Lemonhead, The Shield