News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Divinity] How do you list things that are similar in nature?

Started by sean2099, April 15, 2006, 12:23:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sean2099

Hi everyone,

I am working on my game, which I am sure most of here are probably working on one of their own;)  I am currently working on powers...I have some powers that are similar in nature but function on different things.  I am using power groups (Creation, Transformation, etc) and I have a counteract power for each group.  Which would be better to do?  List the same power in every list, list it once and then in the other groups say...look at x power, or list it in some other area?  Any suggestions/thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks,

Sean
http://www.agesgaming.bravehost.com

agesgaming_divinity subscribe@yahoogroups.com

email to join AGES Gaming Yahoo Group
it's my lil' website.

TroyLovesRPG

Hello Sean,

Your question could be interpreted in many different ways. Powers can be magical, natural, mental, scientific, etc. They could be generated by devices, through rituals or innately. The theme of your game can determine the categories. You list creation and transformation which could be part of medieval fantasy, space opera, super hero or modern day occult settings. The goals of your characters and of the antagonists are important as they will direct what type of powers are more likely to be used. The level of power could also be a category, just like spell levels.

I read your other post and the one on the web site. It seems you are designing a very generic game that works as RPG, LARP and with miniatures. I think your powers could be categorized by their effect on the game mechanics. Look at what is common among the three game types and create each power to work the same way in each game type. They could be directly related to the stats of each character: physical, mental and supernatural. Then look at how those stat categories are affected (here you can list the action and counteraction): attack/defend, increase/reduce, hide/expose, accelerate/slow, light/dark, heal/damage, focus/obscure, spy/distract, etc. Each power is merely a combination of the intended action and the affected stat(s). You will need some limitations on the powers: range, activation time, power requirement. Some powers may do several things but cost more energy, mana, etc.

Creating a power system from scratch is a daunting task. How familiar are you with the systems of other games? Champions, Ars Magica, Star Wars, Mutants and Masterminds and Exalted have extensive rules that work well within the scope of their setting. If your task is to create a rule set that works for RPG, LARP and miniatures then you must design all of the rules for those forms. Character generation, power assignment, character interaction, randomness, experience, combat and crossover rules to go from one form to another.

Good luck!

Troy

sean2099

Hey Troy,

I am familiar with some of the systems you have mentioned.  I am trying to make my power list open ended enough for all three ways of playing that you mentioned.  I am adding cost, range, and time requirement to my powers but I am also interlinking my power groups.  For instance, I have one power group labeled Spatial (it deals with manipulation of space...indictating how they can travel and how much range their powers have.)

So, it will be fun trying to make sure everything interlocks.

Thanks for visiting the website,

Sean

it's my lil' website.

dindenver

Hi!
  I think you should list the counter-power seperately for each instance. Especially as playtest proceeds, my guess is that the counter for transfiguration will be different from the counter for creation. And that mechanically, they will do something different once the rules become a little more developed. This is just a guess, I could be wrong, but that is how I imagine it going down.
Dave M
Author of Legends of Lanasia RPG (Still in beta)
My blog
Free Demo

sean2099

I was thinking that even if it would only be for the "flavor" of the counter.

Sean

it's my lil' website.