News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

RPGs for the Computer

Started by Davaris, May 23, 2006, 09:00:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davaris

I have a question for everyone. What or who do you use for art for your books? Whenever I've approached artists, the prices they quote are very expensive. Are there any cheaper alternatives around?

Also I was wondering have any of you worked on RPGs for the personal computer? I've made my own, but I'm a programmer so the writing isn't that great. So I'm considering teaming up with an RPG designer. Do you think anyone here would be interested in something like this?

Anyway this is my website and game:

www.ausgamedev.com

The game is an old school RPG.

Graham W

Hi Davaris,

As regards the art, have a look at some old threads on the Forge. There are some excellent suggestions about getting art cheap or for free.

Have a look at some of the threads linked from this page:

http://roleplaypublishing.pbwiki.com/Art

Graham

jeremycoatney

Quote from: Davaris on May 23, 2006, 09:00:00 PM

I have a question for everyone. What or who do you use for art for your books? Whenever I've approached artists, the prices they quote are very expensive. Are there any cheaper alternatives around?

Also I was wondering have any of you worked on RPGs for the personal computer? I've made my own, but I'm a programmer so the writing isn't that great. So I'm considering teaming up with an RPG designer. Do you think anyone here would be interested in something like this?

Anyway this is my website and game:

www.ausgamedev.com

The game is an old school RPG.

Hello,
     Well, since you've asked, I would be interested in working with you on this project, but I would need more information about just what it is you need. You appear to have a fairly good interface running (based on screen shots) so I presume that by RPG designer you mean someone who will write out the story of the game, potential arcs, sub-missions, and things of that nature.
     If you would like to work something out, or just tell me a little more about the project, you can E-mail me and I will get back to you when I recieve the E-mail from you. If you do not want to work with me specifically I am sure that someone else would be interested in your project, the images from the screen shots look good, the interface looks promising, and I think there is still a very large market for more old-school games out there. I just don't know with whom specifically.
     Don't know about artists, I'm not the worlds best artist, but I try to do my own artwork for my books because they have a little to no budget range on them. Sorry I can't be more help there.
-Jeremy
www.myrpgstore.com
Home of the No '&' RPGs system.

Davaris

Yes there is a market if you have the skills, make the right sort of game and are prepared to market it. Spiderweb Software is making old school role playing games full time and I'd very much like to be where he is now.

QuoteDon't know about artists, I'm not the worlds best artist, but I try to do my own artwork for my books because they have a little to no budget range on them. Sorry I can't be more help there.

Yes artists are impossible to find on a royalty split in computer games. They always pick projects that are impossible for a group of independent programmers to complete and get bitter and say they don't trust programmers anymore. Oh well... What can you do? :) In the end I decided to learn to do as much as I can myself, and for anything I can't do, hire the cheapest artists money can buy. ;)

I'll send you an email now.

gpetersz

Hi Davaris,
Just stumbled upon your post on this forum too! :-)
You know there ARE artists who work for royalty... but they are always occupied.
Hope you find somebody soon!
Peter

http://www.easternraider.com
http://www.easternraider.com/gallery