News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Name for Company

Started by lesbianvampyre, April 13, 2006, 03:35:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David "Czar Fnord" Artman

Quote from: lesbianvampyre on April 20, 2006, 04:32:58 PMDoes Press make me sound more like a printer than a publisher?

Yes. And no.

Oxford University Press doesn't sound like a printer because anything with "Oxford" in the name can't (a) be a trade or (b) cause one to get dirty.
The Associated Press sort of dances the line--they know they write, we know they write, they SELL to publishers, and they sure don't print stuff themselves. But newspapers make you dirty.
Main Street Press sounds like it's a front counter (ink stained, of course) with a guy and a register and muted, repetitious sounds coming from behind a steel door.

So... Parallel Universe Press... Well, it's sort of high tech (in a New Age sort of way), so it probably won't make me dirty. It certainly doesn't give off a "trades" vibe that would make me take off my suit jacket to go into its office. I would expect them to have workstations and art deco couches and, probably, a yucca cane plant they bought from a guy in a van going door-to-door. Sure, OK, it'll work for a game publisher.

Then again, won't your REAL business be, well, PUBLISHING? Or do you plan to buy a Heidelberg Speedmaster XL 105 and start running of church calendars?

Put simply, will you:
A) Seek out, review, edit, promote, and manage the distribution of creative and technical publications
B) Take print jobs, strip them, set up presses and plates, and cut and bind
[or C) Do A and sometimes make custom dice or toy merchandising spin offs or video games or a clothing line or Stormtrooper armor pattern books....]

A is Publishing, B is Printing (Press), and C is Design.

My 2¢--and that's all it's worth, being a poll response;
David
If you liked this post, you'll love... GLASS: Generic Live Action Simulation System - System Test Document v1.1(beta)