News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Capes play and judgementalism in general

Started by Sindyr, April 25, 2006, 10:50:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TonyLB

Well, y'know, there is some truth to the concern.  If I say (as I have) that some people are acting in a way that is childish ... I am saying that they are people who (at least sometimes) act in a childish way.

Sorta hard not to, y'know?  In fact, it is impossible to say anything about anyone's opinions without implying that they are the type of person who would hold such opinions.

In theory there's really no line between saying that and saying "You're ugly and your momma dresses you funny," but in practice I think I can (the vast majority of the time) discern between insulting someone's person and insulting their opinion.
Just published: Capes
New Project:  Misery Bubblegum

joshua neff

Quote from: TonyLB on April 25, 2006, 05:54:23 PM
Well, y'know, there is some truth to the concern.  If I say (as I have) that some people are acting in a way that is childish ... I am saying that they are people who (at least sometimes) act in a childish way.

Sorta hard not to, y'know?  In fact, it is impossible to say anything about anyone's opinions without implying that they are the type of person who would hold such opinions.

In theory there's really no line between saying that and saying "You're ugly and your momma dresses you funny," but in practice I think I can (the vast majority of the time) discern between insulting someone's person and insulting their opinion.

Right. Which is why this is not a safe place--if you never want to feel as if you or your ideas or your preferences have been insulted. We will not abandon you, but we won't protect you from harm.
--josh

"You can't ignore a rain of toads!"--Mike Holmes

greyorm

Quote from: TonyLB on April 25, 2006, 05:45:58 PMRev., you're acting like I have a problem with bear-pits.  On the contrary, I find these threads immensely entertaining and amusing.

OK. I got no problem with that then.

I will steer clear, though, since bear-pits bug me as pretty uselessly unproductive affairs (unless one is there to torture the bear and poke him with fire-sticks, which I could totally get into but should really spend my energies elsewhere).
Rev. Ravenscrye Grey Daegmorgan
Wild Hunt Studio