News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Rogue - Big market void for sci-fi?

Started by Del, April 15, 2006, 03:07:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josh Roby

This very well may be straying off-topic, but:
QuoteI suggest that you make the Rogue: Emperor concept the central feature of the game you publish. It reminds me of the excellent Alastor novels by Jack Vance.
QuoteMake an SF setting that does something specific, something unique and memorable.

Who plays the Emperor, Del?  Cause from where I sit, the PCs playing your generic sci fi operative/heroes and having everything that they work for and are invested in stomped on by the Emperor running in and telling them that they're wrong -- that's a recipe for suck.  However, the PCs being the operatives of the Emperor, simultaneously serving as his vanguard and protecting the people from his rampages, sounds totally awesome.  Quick!  Fix everything before the Emperor arrives!
On Sale: Full Light, Full Steam and Sons of Liberty | Developing: Agora | My Blog

Josh Roby

Hit 'Post' too soon.  My point being: when you "make the game about the Emperor" you need to really make the game about the Emperor such that each and every game is touched by the inescapable influence or presence of the Emperor.  Making the PCs work for the Emperor is simply a straightforward way to go about doing that.
On Sale: Full Light, Full Steam and Sons of Liberty | Developing: Agora | My Blog

Joshua A.C. Newman

I totally agree with Josh there. Want to take this over to  First Thoughts and discuss content, Del?
the glyphpress's games are Shock: Social Science Fiction and Under the Bed.

I design books like Dogs in the Vineyard and The Mountain Witch.

Clay

It's worth noting that even the most notable success in the science fiction, Traveller, never bothered with the shiny hardcover release. The game always felt indy, right down to the release in what poets would call a chapbook (the little black books). I wouldn't go for the big outlay release; GDW made their money with an indy look and feel and there isn't a lot of market evidence to suggest that there's money for a high-polish release.

The advice to make the game your own is solid.  You're not going to unseat the dedicated Traveller fans since the game already gives them everything they want.  Something new an unique, on the other hand, like the game you described, could capture some interest.
Clay Dowling
RPG-Campaign.com - Online Campaign Planning and Management

btrc

As a note, I was paneling with Marc Miller at a convention a few months ago and he's already pushing the new ground-up design of -another- Traveller. If there is a big SF void, then you'd be competing against that, so make sure you distinguish yourself that you're not going to compete against people who might want something that hearkens back to classic Traveller.

Greg Porter
BTRC

P.S. The best way to make a small fortune in the rpg business? Start with a large fortune...