News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Cards instead of dice?

Started by quozl, April 16, 2002, 09:56:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quozl

Have you considered using moon cards instead of rolling moon dice?  I think it may be a little more in keeping with the atmosphere of Alyria and also be easier for players to use (since they wouldn't have to buy moon dice or apply stickers to their dice).  

I remember your comparison of Alyria to Everway and woke up this morning, thinking "Duh!  Why doesn't Alyria use cards too?"

---Jon
--- Jonathan N.
Currently playtesting Frankenstein's Monsters

GreatWolf

That thought had wandered through my head at some point.  I had ruled it out, but now I can't remember why.  Hmm.

Part of it depends on how I go about producing a final product.  It could be easier/cheaper for me to include a sticker sheet with moon phases than shelling out the cash for cards.  On the other hand, I haven't looked into it yet, so I could be wrong.
Seth Ben-Ezra
Dark Omen Games
producing Legends of Alyria, Dirty Secrets, A Flower for Mara
coming soon: Showdown

Mike Holmes

Hmmm... What happens when inevitably your stickers wear off? I think that would be a very big problem. I'm thinking it needs a playtest. Perhaps in Peoria soon...

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

quozl

Just include a couple of perferorated cardstock pages in your book.  How much would that increase the cost?

---Jon
--- Jonathan N.

Jürgen Mayer

Dice stickers? No, no, no! I want the real thing, I want my custom Alyria dice, even if that means that you'll be eating Instant Ramen for one year. Have you forgotten my near death experience when trying to make my own moon dice?

Seriously, have you checked how much custom dice will cost you? I suggest checking out Koplow Games, a company who produces all kinds of funky custom dice, their website isn't exactly stylish or complete, but their dice are nice: http://www.koplowgames.com dicekoplow@aol.com
Jürgen Mayer
Disaster Machine Productions
http://disastermachine.com

GreatWolf

Quote from: Jürgen MayerDice stickers? No, no, no! I want the real thing, I want my custom Alyria dice, even if that means that you'll be eating Instant Ramen for one year. Have you forgotten my near death experience when trying to make my own moon dice?

Yeah.  You were supposed to be my blood sacrifice to Cthulhu to consecrate Alyria.  Now I'll have to find someone else.

Quote from: Jürgen MayerSeriously, have you checked how much custom dice will cost you? I suggest checking out Koplow Games, a company who produces all kinds of funky custom dice, their website isn't exactly stylish or complete, but their dice are nice: http://www.koplowgames.com dicekoplow@aol.com

I will have to do so.  I did talk to someone at Origins 2001, who gave me a rough quote (off the top of his head).  As I recall, to order 1000 custom dice would have cost about $1.00 apiece.  (It may have been more; my recollection is a bit foggy.)  The cost was so high because of the custom die faces and because a moon die is a d10.  Custom d6's are much cheaper.  Honestly, I was in doubt after seeing this figure.  In order to sell the dice through the distribution chain (if I were to go that route) in packages of 2 dice, I would need to sell them for $5.00 per set just to break even on dice costs.  That doesn't include packaging material either, BTW.  I know that you guys are fanatical gamers, but even I (being a crazed dice nut) would balk at dropping $5.00 for two dice.

If a cheaper cost could be found, I would still consider it.  Of course, right now the priority for me is getting a manuscript completed and continuing to tweak the system.  Packaging and accessories can be addressed a bit later.  Rest assured, though, that I do tuck away all ideas in the back of my head to be considered later.

Also, if someone were to create a nifty set of moon cards and were to playtest it and send a PDF my way, that could be an important deciding point in my mind.  Please experiment and tell me what you think.
Seth Ben-Ezra
Dark Omen Games
producing Legends of Alyria, Dirty Secrets, A Flower for Mara
coming soon: Showdown

Ron Edwards

Cards my ass.

Moon dice stickers are just bloody fine.

Best,
Ron

quozl

Quote from: GreatWolf
Also, if someone were to create a nifty set of moon cards and were to playtest it and send a PDF my way, that could be an important deciding point in my mind.  Please experiment and tell me what you think.

I made some cards to experiment with.  You can get the pdf file here:

http://www.nicholcentral.com/jon/rpg/MoonCards.pdf

---Jon
--- Jonathan N.