News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Staking Is Limited By Drive Strength

Started by Matthew Glover, April 26, 2006, 01:47:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthew Glover

Quote from: Sindyr on April 25, 2006, 11:31:03 AM
Well, the most he is likely to stake is 3 debt, because each player can only stake debt from one drive, and only as much debt as that drive's rating.  Let's say you both have three debt each staked on this.

[FYI, you can't invest millions of debt into a conflict, you are limited to usually at most 2 or 3, depending on what yoru highest rated drive is. 

Quote from: Matthew Glover on April 26, 2006, 01:03:24 AM
I'm 99% sure that this is incorrect.  You can only stake debt from one drive, yes.  However you can stake as much from that drive as you like.  Undifferentiated characters may only stake up to three Debt on a given conflict, though.  (pg. 74)  If
I'm wrong or if this requires further discussion, let's split off a new thread so we can stay on topic.

And then I read the FAQ that Hans is compiling (Nice, Hans!) and spot this:
http://www.indie-rpgs.com/forum/index.php?topic=16942.msg179842#msg179842

So, crap, I was wrong.  Before I wrote that, I looked at every page in the index for Drives and for Staking and I didn't see anything remotely like that.  Obviously I wasn't looking hard enough because just now I found it on page 19.

This is my public apology to Sindyr.  My bad.  There are a couple of other places where I said stuff based on my ignorance of this rule.  Please try not to laugh too hard where I look stupid.  :)

Zamiel

Quote from: Matthew Glover on April 26, 2006, 01:47:31 AM
This is my public apology to Sindyr.  My bad.  There are a couple of other places where I said stuff based on my ignorance of this rule.  Please try not to laugh too hard where I look stupid.  :)

If it's any consolation, it just redoubles your correctness in pointing out a Gloatfest is bad strategy in the long-term. What the mechanic does is put a top-end reduction on exactly how long a Gloatfest can really go on, in the sense of maintaining profitability. Since you can't just go on feeding in Debt until Doomsday (Goal: The posters incite Doomsday), you'll have increasing trouble maintaining Control of the Conflict that's being Gloated, and someone tired of it will snatch it away from you and resolve it.

(From my perspective, a Gloatfest is good strategy right up until the point someone tires of it. As long as we're all having fun milking it, I'll engage in economic speculation. I just have to be smart enough to get out of the market before the bubble bursts. If I'm particularly smart, I'll be the one who pops it, reaping double reward.)
Blogger, game analyst, autonomous agent architecture engineer.
Capes: This Present Darkness, Dragonstaff