News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Jared Sorenson’s The Farm – How does it play?

Started by JavaApp, May 04, 2006, 02:28:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JavaApp

I originally posted this on RPG.net, and all I got in response was a bunch of people telling me, "Hey, let us know how it turns out." I used the search function on the Forge forums to search for posts about The Farm, but all I got was an offhand reference or two. So, here is a new topic, hopefully in the right place. :)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am considering running The Farm for my group, and I had a bunch of questions. Feel free to chime in with any of your experiences running this game.

How many characters did you really need? I may have less than six, perhaps only four.

Were you able to play out all six sessions? With the same characters?

How much of the game is really about conflict with others PCs and how much is conflict with the The Farm itself?

In general, do the mechanics make it possible to seriously challenge the guards?

Did you find it necessary to use a schematic of your version of The Farm? Or was it OK just using narration?

Did you use a strict schedule of regular events (feeding times, shower, exercise, etc.)? Or did you just play it by ear?

How much did the Prisoner TV series influence your vision and play of The Farm?

Did you bother using pre-planned scenarios at all, or did you make the focus entirely on the characters and their reactions?

How big a deal did you make of the orientation on the first day?

How did you describe the last day, assuming the characters didn't escape?

A friend of mine insists that The Farm is really more of a thought experiment, and not really a playable RPG at all. Do you believe this to be true?

What should I pay attention to that I have not focused on in this post?

Thanks,

JavaApp
JavaApp

...it is not reasonable to assume that Aristotle knew the Number of the Elect...

- Albertus Magnus