News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Question - Not sure where to post it.

Started by bluenotebooks, May 05, 2006, 07:19:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluenotebooks

I have played d&d a bit, and like it for the most part.  But I do not care for how centered it is on combat.  I believe I would prefer a system that abstracts a lot of this, but still has enough to make combat a very exciting part of the game.  I want something without battle grids and attacks of opportunity and having to keep up with inches.  Could anyone recommend an indie rpg?  I like the fantasy setting of d&d but I'd be open to just about anything except Anime, Horror, or anything modern.  Or perhaps there are some rules out there for simplifying the combat system in d&d so it'd be possible to focus more on the story?

Storn

Quote from: bluenotebooks on May 05, 2006, 07:19:57 AM
I have played d&d a bit, and like it for the most part.  But I do not care for how centered it is on combat.  I believe I would prefer a system that abstracts a lot of this, but still has enough to make combat a very exciting part of the game.  I want something without battle grids and attacks of opportunity and having to keep up with inches.  Could anyone recommend an indie rpg?  I like the fantasy setting of d&d but I'd be open to just about anything except Anime, Horror, or anything modern.  Or perhaps there are some rules out there for simplifying the combat system in d&d so it'd be possible to focus more on the story?

You're right, this is kind an odd place to put this question.  Maybe to dovetail it to the forum, you could speak of an actual play experience that didn't work for you using D&D and why you think it was that D&D contribute to the disatisfaction.

But Burning Wheel is an excellent fantasy game that I think should be on every GM's shelf, whether they use it or not.  The ideas of player empowerment are that good in it.... and I guess it struck a real cord for me.

I've heard great things about Trollbabe, but I don't own it.  I hope others will come along and shout out for other good systems.

Ron Edwards

Storn's right about the way we can all make this thread serve your purposes.

Post again, telling about some session of play that you especially enjoyed or didn't enjoy. It doesn't matter how recent or how old it is. You should explain what game was being used, how many people were involved and more-or-less what they were like, what happened at the table (among the people), and briefly, what happened fictionally among the characters. Think in terms of what really was fun or not fun, and explain why.

Best, Ron